barrier and commit options?

Nicolas KOWALSKI nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:53:29 UTC 2009

Hello,

On my home server (Debian etch, custom 2.6.28.2 kernel), I am using ext3
for both root and /home filesystems, with barriers enabled to prevent
corruption caused by my PATA disk write cache.

Looking for a better performance, I have also set the commit=nr option
as described in linux-2.6.28.2/Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt, so
that I now have:

niko at petole:~$ mount -t ext3
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,commit=30,barrier=1)
/dev/sda3 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime,commit=30,barrier=1)

I know I may loose the last 30 seconds of "work" (it's just a home
server), but is the filesystem at risk (corruption, whatever, ...) with
these mount options ?

Thanks,
--
Nicolas