optimising filesystem for many small files

Viji V Nair viji at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 17 17:56:04 UTC 2009

these files are not in a single directory, this is a pyramid
structure. There are total 15 pyramids and coming down from top to
bottom the sub directories and files  are multiplied by a factor of 4.

The IO is scattered all over!!!! and this is a single disk file system.

Since the python application is creating files, it is creating
multiple files to multiple sub directories at a time.