optimising filesystem for many small files

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:25:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 15:01 +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:
> The application which we are using are modified versions of mapnik and
> tilecache, these are single threaded so we are running 4 process at a
> time.

If your tiles use the OpenStreetMap / Google style 900913 projection
then you could consider using mod_tile[1]. This renders and stores each
block of 8 x 8 PNG map tiles inside a single file on the disk. This
makes the storage and access much more efficient. It cuts down the
number of files on the disk by 64 and allows nearby tiles to be read
from a single file.

	Jon

1: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mod_tile