How many files can I have safely in a subdirectory?

z0diac web2009 at zeroreality.com
Tue Sep 1 21:23:06 UTC 2009

There was something mentioned in a search about dir_index and I checked and
apparently it *is* running:

# sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1 | grep dir_index
Filesystem features:      has_journal resize_inode dir_index filetype
needs_recovery sparse_super large_file

.. so I'm not sure if I can keep dumping files into the same directory and
not have to worry as much about performance ( ? )  It would be MUCh easier
for me if I could, instead of having to login under multiple accounts.
There shouldn't be much more than 1-2M files in the directory anyway.  The
partition is only a 250GB anyway, and each file is anywhere from 50-200kb on
average, so there's just not enough space to hold that quantity of files
anyway.  ie: I'm sure I"ll run out of drive space before having too many
files affects performance (hope hope)