SQLite and ext3 journalling mode

Ted Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Dec 6 21:31:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 01:42:08AM +0700, Dan Kennedy wrote:

> Are SQLite users that are worried about losing data that has been
> committed (fsynced) better off setting data=journal than
> data=ordered (or even data=writeback)?

Well, they won't be better off a data integrity point of view.
Depending on how SQLite is configured, and how many fsync's are issued
by SQLite in response to application queries, and depending on your
background workload by other applications, using data=journal *might*
be a performance win.

In general, though, if you have background workloads that are
downloading torrents, data=journal is going to hurt a lot.  So I don't
recommend it except for fairly specialized deployments where there's
only one primary user of the file system.

          	 	      	     	  - Ted