Extended attributes being cleared by e2fsck?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jan 22 21:01:21 UTC 2010

Twice now I have rebooted a box and seen a hundred or so unexpected messages from e2fsck about extended attributes being cleared:

disk: Extended attribute in inode 1437565 has a value size (0) which is invalid
CLEARED.

(for many different inodes)

This filesystem has a lot of files with single-byte xattrs (it is user.test='x').  After the fsck, I looked at a few of the files that correspond to the inodes mentioned by e2fsck, and that xattr was missing.  However, some other files were not touched by e2fsck and still had the single-digit xattr.

The only other clue I have at the moment is that in at least one of the examples, the filesystem had just been resized (online) with resize2fs.

Both boxes are Fedora 11 with kernel-2.6.30.9-102.fc11.i586 and e2fsprogs-1.41.4-12.fc11.i586

Any suggestions on where to investigate next?

David