[fab] Re: Kadischi : Legal issues

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Tue Apr 18 16:22:11 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:14:19AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On the other hand, what about folks who include non-Fedora components?
>  Should they be able to say something like "based on... Fedora" too?
> I'm guessing, no, unfortunately.   I'd hate to have to forbid this kind
> of thing outright, so what allowance(s) can be made for situations like
> this?

Not in the name of the product (the branding thereof), but there
shouldn't be a problem with someone branding a CD "FooBar the Great"
(with no mention of Fedora in the name), that includes Fedora content.
As a hypothetical, say a LiveCD with Fedora components, plus Dell's
OMSA management software (which isn't open source).  It can't be
branded anything related to Fedora, but it can be separately branded.
The READMEs and docs may say "based on Fedora" or "created with Fedora
content", but not the product title.

-Matt