[fab] Fedora branding discussion

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 18 17:10:03 UTC 2006

So after having discussed this with Max over lunch, here's an idea: toss
the "branding" question over to Fedora marketing for brainstorming /
discussion.

Here's the note I'd send:

===

Subject: Fedora derivates branding discussion

The Fedora board needs help with a policy decision.

As Fedora evolves, we'll be seeing more and more custom distributions that
are spun from the Fedora Universe of packages.  Kadischi-based Live CDs
are a good example.  We'd like to be able to allow these distributions to
use the Fedora name -- and we've got tentative buy-in from legal to do it
-- so long as the distros are built entirely from Fedora (Core+Extras)
packages.

So.  How should the Fedora brand be used in such cases?

Let's say, for example, that Rex Dieter builds a minimal Fedora distro
that has KDE and no GNOME -- and he wants to call it "KDExcellent".  He
also wants people to know that it's derived from official Fedora packages.
Should we let him call it:

    + Fedora KDExcellent?
    + KDExcellent, based on Fedora?
    + KDExcellent, a Fedora distribution?

Whatever policy we come up with now, we'll be stuck with for quite a
while -- so we could use some help.

We'll hold this discussion on fedora-marketing-list.  If you're interested
in this discussion but you're not on fedora-marketing list, you can join
here (link).

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

===

Thoughts?