[fab] project hosting?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 13:03:34 UTC 2006

> So, someone today wanted to move a Fedora-related bit of source
> to externally available CVS. This was easily enough done; just
> import it onto cvs.fedora:/cvs/devel, add an ACL, etc.
>
> He then asked 'now, what if I want to release tarballs?'. Oops.

Developer Nation is open[1] for anyone who wants to host a project
there.  They can use it for just the few tools they want, such as
housing binary objects and making announcements.  If someone has an
active project, let's use the tools.

I'm looking into Greg's question, which is, "Would we trap Fedora
projects in the CollabNet-based Developer Nation?"  If the answer is
good enough for us to proceed, we could setup
devnation.fedoraproject.org and give projects the Fedora association (v.
the redhat.com association.)

[1] Well, not open _today_ but RSN.

> So, this leads to: what do we want to do for project hosting?
>
> - CVS/<scm-of-choice>?
> - mailing lists?
> - bug tracking?
> - web space?

Yeah, Developer Nation has all that.  CVS or SVN, take your choice. :)

> How do we tie it together? Do we take the savannah software?
> Something else? Roll our own? (shudder)

Gforge?

If we decide that Developer Nation isn't going to fit, then I recommend
we put up our own instance of one of these tools.  CollabNet is
definitely at the forefront on features.  As a managed service, it is
comprised largely of FLOSS components with CollabNet's own Java wrapped
around it.

If the vendor lock-in is the concern that stops us using the
CollabNet-based instance, perhaps we could still setup under the same
Developer Nation banner at devnation.fp.o but with different software.

However, the benefit of sharing a platform is much, much more than the
sum of the parts.

The benefit of a full platform like CollabNet or Gforge is like the
difference of a proper CMS over cobbled-together publishing + Wiki.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/