[fab] project hosting?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 13:42:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 09:12 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > However, the benefit of sharing a platform is much, much more than the
> > sum of the parts.
> >
> > The benefit of a full platform like CollabNet or Gforge is like the
> > difference of a proper CMS over cobbled-together publishing + Wiki.
>
> However, for many people who are not fulltime editors or fulltime
> developers the difference you allude to in the above is non-existent.

And now that I've got the glib response out of my system :), let me
actually show what I mean:

Bootstrapping a New Sub-Project in Fedora
of another PMC.  Extras SIGs.  Cross-group project such as Kadischi.
Etc.

1. Get a Fedora account
  1.1 Sign CLA
  1.2 Request various CVS accesses
2. Get Wiki edit access, create a Wiki page.
4. Find a project with their own CVS administrators who will host your
module(s) for you.  Get the module(s) created and do your initial
import.
5. Write about it on your blog; get used to that, this is one of your
main "announcement" channels.
6. Post announcements to existing lists to attract other people.
7. Reuse the manual wheel of FLOSS development practices within your new
project.
8. Walk your project members who need it through the process of steps 1
and 2.

All-in-one Collaboration Web App Method
---------------------------------------

This could be hosted (SF.net as Colin offered, devnation.redhat.com) or
our own instance (Gforge, savannah, etc.).

1. Get an account on the Web app
2. Use the Web app to create your project, request approval.
3. When the project is approved, start committing code.
4. Invite users with existing accounts in the Web app to join.
5. Use your announce at projectname.devnation.fedoraproject.org, then post
links to that and details to appropriate, existing Fedora mailing lists.
6. Reuse the automated features designed and built to support FLOSS
development practices within your new project.

These are fewer steps, sure, but they are also much, much easier.  The
system walks one through project creation, v. right now where the
knowledge is buried on the Wiki and shared again and again between
community leaders.

My thinking is, yes, it is worth it to have an all-in-one collaboration
system.  From there, the road is less clear. :)

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/