[fab] project hosting?

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 15:00:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> How do we tie it together? Do we take the savannah software?
> Something else? Roll our own? (shudder)

Three options:
 	1. Savannah
 	2. DevNation
 	3. Sourceforge

What's the ideal?  The fully open solution.  What's stopping us.  We need
to have enough people dedicated to making it happen and maintaining it so
that we actually have the infrastructure in place to allow people to
host/code new projects.  If we can get there, then that's superb, and
we've got a fully open solution that we can show to anyone else (like
Ubuntu) who doesn't.

The realistic decision that must be made is: what's the likely timeframe
for getting Savannah deployed and useful for the Fedora community?  Is
that time/cost worth it, or are we better off using one of the other
options in which a lot of the infrastructure is done for us, but the
backend isn't entirely open.

"Fedora Infrastructure" has a huge amount of stuff swirling around it, and
listening to Elliot talk, not nearly enough people who are able to work on
all of it.

--
Max Spevack
+ gpg key -- http://people.redhat.com/~mspevack/mspevack.asc