[fab] fedora in brazil

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Apr 21 15:28:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 19:47 -0500, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:

> the translation.  That would leave only the English form as a canonical
> resource, which avoids any liability issues from translation errors, and it
> would allow translators to help the information proliferate through the
> community.

I agree in principal, but this brings up a very interesting point.

Why is English our only trusted language?

By that I mean ... if we put the same safeguards in place for $LANG that
we put in for English, can we pass trust to trusted people who work
within that $LANG?

For example, in Fedora Documentation, I have been encouraging works
submitted in original languages other than English.  Such a work must
come with a trusted editor who speaks/reads the language well enough to
confirm translation, so, either a native speaker or a language genius.
That's the exact same thing we require in English; no content can
progress very far or be draft published without an editor.

By trust, I mean, formal recognition that this person knows wtf Fedora
is about and can be trusted to speak for the whole and correct wrongs
where they find them.

Trust goes like this:  Board -> PMC -> individuals in the project.

So, since we already display this passage of trust in the case of
Ambassadors, we should be able to use the same for translations.

One reason we need to follow this method is, we already display this
trust in Fedora Translation.  We trust them to translate the strings
faithfully.  This is why I don't have to go to Red Hat translators and
ask them to verify every line of a translation.

Does it make sense to establish this level of trust into announcements,
etc.?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/