[fab] Re: openmotif

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 31 06:56:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 06:57:07AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 15:18 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 10:49 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, I think I can fix these things by Tuesday. Stay tuned.
> >
> > OK, here's how we can do this:
> >
> > 1. Lesstif is approved. It needs to incorporate my fixes (see BZ 203274)
> > and be rebuilt.
> Has the package made installable in parallel to OpenMotif?

The packages containing the libs are parallel installable. The -devel
packages conflicts. lesstif has more subpackages than openmotif,
so the lesstif subpackages (containing the programs) conflict against
the openmotif package which contains programs and libs.

> > 5. ddd and xpdf need to be moved to Fedora Extras,
> Bummer, FC dropping the primary GUI-debugger - MASSIVE REGRESSION.

It should be shortly in FE, that's not a real issue.

> > (all maintainers CC'd) need to change their BR from openmotif-devel to
> > lesstif-devel. I tested all of these apps and they work correctly
> > against lesstif.
> Are you serious about this?
>
> Motif is a GUI-toolkit and you can't have tested all apps's
> functionality.

Indeed. Maybe Spot wanted to say that they can be built against lesstif.
Some of these apps are known to work with lesstif, though (nedit, ddd, xpdf,
grace and cernlib at least).

> 11. Me filing "critical/highest priority" PRs, should I notice any
> functional regression due to moving to lesstif and assigning them to
> Pertusus and Callaway.

Of course, they'll be assigned to me as lesstif maintainer. It won't hurt
if there are other people in the initial CC list, though...

--
Pat