[fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 16:34:56 UTC 2006

On Friday 03 November 2006 11:22, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I said it doesn't match "Fedora is about the rapid progress of Free and
> Open Source software and content." if Ubtuntu can ship with it two days
> later.

And if we shipped it, we wouldn't match the perception that we actually care
about our users...  We could certainly ship software the day or the day after
its released, if we just don't care what it would do to users systems...

> Further: I think it is okay that it was not shipped. But we should
> explain the reasons to our users and give them a outlook like "We'll
> probably ship it as a update"

Did you not follow the threads that caillon participated in?

> > only when its ready, and that it should be
> > made available in a special repo for those to test.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I seem to remember Chris Aillon posting up FF2 rpms for FC6 systems
>
> They are tagged with "fc7". Most users will fear that.

As well they should.  Any user that would be 'scared' of an fc7 tag should
probably avoid testing it anyway.

> > a while
> > ago, and got all of some 50~ downloaders.  He still feels its not ready
> > for FC6, but it is in rawhide.  How is this NOT what you wanted to see?
>
> I would like to see FF at a place like
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/projects/
> (not "only" on people") and with a repo file that people can easily
> install.

Which makes it even harder to provide one-off testing packages, and thus makes
it even LESS interesting for maintainers to do.  No, I think not.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora