[fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Nov 6 16:31:01 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz schrieb:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 15:16 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 12:52 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>> On Friday 03 November 2006 12:40, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>[...]
>>> It's something we shoot for, but flexibility is necessary for what we do.
>> Looking at the trending from Thorsten's list:
> [snip specific dates]
>> The nine months for FC5 brought the schedule back into the
>> late-March/late-October flow again.  If this is important, I think we
>> all have some possibility of influencing that this stays this way; and I
>> think some influence may already be applied.
>
> I tend to agree that there's a lot of value in trying to align with
> "something" like this... and we've been spastic at times as to what the
> "something" we're aligning with is.  gcc has been the driver once, xorg
> once, GNOME a few times... I think that GNOME might well be the
> reasonable thing in general,

Side note: That would align our schedule slightly with Ubuntu. Gcc,
x.org, some other projects and authors auf hardware driver due to that
might even say "hey, we know Ubuntu and Fedora release in April and
October normally, so if we want to have our stuff integrated there we
need to get it upstream in January/July (better earlier) to get it
included there." That could be nice for everyone (if it really works out
that way).

> but I do want to try to give us time to
> reasonably integrate the GNOME release; the relatively identical
> timeframes for FC5 was a bit painful from my POV.  Trying to align the
> freeze for ~ 2 weeks after the GNOME release gives time just to make
> sure that [...]

+1

> [...]

Cu