Metrics: RFC

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Fri Nov 24 14:17:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:58:22PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> >I and I'm sure a good portion of Fedora users would happily install
> >a package that periodically sent various bits of info related to what
> >hardware is in the system, what packages are installed, what kernel is
> >currently running, etc.  Such information could be immensely useful to
> >community packagers as a validation that their packages are actually
> >being used somewhere.

Only somewhat; installed != used, but there's no clean way to track
which apps are actually used (or is there?).  Windows has something
like this - if you've ever gone to the Add/Remove Programs applet to
remove something, it notes roughly how often that app is used.  I just
know that large "Everything"-style installs will overcount.