fun with naming

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 16:51:49 UTC 2006

Sigh.

We're talking about a *very specific problem*: naming the Universe of
Packages Build by the Fedora Project.

"The Fedora Project" is the umbrella for everything that Fedora does.

"Fedora" is a brand name that is attached to things that say "this is
sponsored by the Fedora community".

We need a way to say "this entity is a collection of all the packages that
can be used to build distributions based on Fedora."  And it can't just be
"Fedora", and it can't be "Fedora Linux".

"Fedora Universe" is close, but problematic for a couple of reasons.
"Fedora Star" is maybe too clever.

But again: it's about the packages.  Hell, maybe it's just "the Fedora
Packaging Project".  Sometimes it's best to call it what it is.

--g