move mailinglists to a new server (for example something like lists.fedoraproject.org)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 15 21:49:45 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
> >
> > Just so I can keep up with this, is there a pretty strong motivation
> > to move forward with this or is the FAB in general just sort of
> > opposed or sort of in favor of it?
>
> I am very much in favor of it but we need to know who in the
> infrastructure team is going to administrate all these mailing lists and
> associated issues - moderation, spam etc. Make sure you talk to Red Hat
> team managing this to know much work it takes. I know it is very much a
> non trivial amount of requirement and we would be reinventing a lot of
> the infrastructure. If the infrastructure team can't manage the
> additional workload better than Red Hat team, we should not jump into
> this. It might be better to just change the domain and let Red Hat
> manage it then.
>
> Rahul

Moderation: I'm hoping to get 'list sponsors' who are not in the
infrastructure team to do this when the lists are created.  This is
similar to the current setup.

Spam: we're actually hoping to have a spam filtering SMTP engine up
very soon (its up not but not live).  I wonder how the red hat folks
do this.

Workload: I think we can manage the workload no problem.  I'm just
worried that we're looking at doing it "because we can".  With the
exception of a few vocal people, everyone else I've heard from has
kind of said 'meh'.

                -Mike

Also does anyone know the direct email address of any of the maillist
guys (email me privately) I haven't heard back from the generic
address.