summary of firstboot and EULA changes in Fedora 7

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu May 17 16:06:12 UTC 2007

All,

Wanted to get this summary out for everyone while there's still a small
window to fix any major issues.

Thanks,
Max

===

TOPIC 1 -- FIRSTBOOT

...in Fedora Core 6

There was a module in firstboot that displayed the EULA and required the
user to click a radio button saying that they *AGREED* with it before
being allowed to move on.  There were a variety of things wrong with
that use case, which I shall not go into here.

...in Fedora 7

The module has been changed.  Now, rather than displaying the EULA, it
displays a text box that tells users the following:

"Thank you for installing Fedora.  Fedora is a compilation of software
packages, each under its own license.  The compilation is made available
under the GNU General Public License version 2.  There are no
restrictions of using, copying, or modifying this code.  However, there
are restrictions and obligations that apply to the redistribution of the
code, either in its original or a modified form.  Among other things,
those restrictions/obligations pertain to the licensing of the
redistribution, trademark rights, and export control.

If you would like to understand what those restrictions are, please
visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/EULA."

The user simply checks a button that says "Understood, please proceed."

Thus, firstboot no longer requires the user to *AGREE* to/with anything,
merly to *ACKNOWLEDGE* having been presented with some information.

TOPIC 2 -- EULA

There have been a few changes made to the EULA between Fedora Core 6 and
Fedora 7.  The rest of this email is a diff between the old and the new
EULA files, and a brief discussion of those changes.  A full copy of the
proposed EULA is attached, and in its current form it has been approved
by Legal.

2c2
<                         FEDORA(TM) CORE
---
>                         FEDORA(TM)
12c12
< 1.  THE SOFTWARE.  Fedora Core (the "Software") is a modular Linux
---
> 1.  THE SOFTWARE.  Fedora (the "Software") is a modular Linux

COMMENTS -- all we're doing here is changing the name from "Fedora Core"
to "Fedora".

17,18c17,21
<   below, the license terms for the components permit User to copy,
<   modify, and redistribute the component, in both source code and
---
>   below, the license terms for the components permit User to copy
>   and redistribute the component.  With the exception of certain
>   firmware files (denoted in the License field of the RPM packaging),
>   the license terms for the comopnents permit User to copy, modify
>   and redistribute the component, in both source code and

COMMENTS -- this change references our binary firmware exception:
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#BinaryFirmware

38,40c41
<   "Fedora" trademark.  Those images are found in the anaconda-images
<   and the fedora-logos packages.  Merely deleting these files may
<   corrupt the Software.
---
>   "Fedora" trademark.  Those images are in the fedora-logos package.

COMMENTS -- the "anaconda-images" package no longer exists.  We've also
removed the line "Merely deleting these files may corrupt the Software."
because it is not applicable in a document like this.  If a user wants
to delete some files and see what happens, that is their right.

66c67
<     regulations (currently Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan
---
>     regulations (currently Cuba, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan

COMMENTS -- this is the export control list that all Red Hat products
must abide by, including Fedora.

92c93
< Copyright (C) 2003, 2004, 2005 Fedora Project.
---
> Copyright (C) 2007 Fedora Project.

COMMENTS -- all we have done here is update the copyright date.