Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 14:19:39 UTC 2008

> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Rahul Sundaram
> > <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >>  What purpose does bugzilla components for every spin serve?
> >
> > Patch submission for changes in kickstart logic.
> >

> >> I would prefer
> >>  some other medium for feedback/ requests on actual spin changes.
> >
> > 'Some other'... is pretty unspecific.  Where would you prefer patches
> > for kickstart logic go?
>
> I haven't ever got patches but if it does happen, some email address is
> preferable. I am currently maintaining several accepted spins: games,
> xfce and about a dozen localized spins. Among these, I only maintain a
> couple of packages. Almost 100% of the changes happen within the actual
> packages and are not spin specific. My effort is spend in developing a
> kickstart file, determining package changes, channeling feedback from
> users, brainstorming ideas with the respective maintainers, testing the
> images and some minimal changes for the live cd environment. What I
> would prefer not to do is getting bugs filed against the spin when it
> should have been filed against individual packages. I am not sure how
> exactly to accomplish that.

I think deflecting unwanted bugs is probably not unique to your
situation. :-)  Reassigning to the right component and default owner is
pretty easy when that happens.  The right way to minimize -- as the
Documentation Project discovered -- is to have a big, shiny notice next
to wherever you're advertising bug-filing, indicating that unrelated
problems should be filed against the right component.

Here's some examples drawn from the Release Notes beet on "Feedback,"
for example, where we try to ensure that users are not filing general
Fedora software bugs against the Release Notes:

"IMPORTANT:  Feedback for Release Notes Only --
  This section concerns feedback on the release notes themselves.

[later on...]

Fill out a bug request using this template: [URL_here] - This link is
ONLY for feedback on the release notes themselves. Refer to the
admonition above for details."