Proposal: Fedora at Home Project

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:28:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > 3. What application could be a test case for this grid functionality?
>
>  Blender or povray are great test cases since you can chunk up a scene as
>  desired and have separate processors work independently on their chunks.

reading the condor site they've already got hooks into maya for
exactly this sort of thing.  I mentioned blender because we have a
relationship with people in the community, a relationship worth
building on if we can.

The key here..is being about 'chunk' the work.  I could probably come
up with all sorts of interesting scientific numerical studies which
just amount to running the same calculations over and over again with
slightly different parameters that would work fine in a a Fedora grid.
Processing images captured from a network of robotic telescopes for
example. But I'm not sure we've got anything internally as a project
that makes use of a grid beyond a proof of principle. Sure we could do
packages across a grid, but that's bound to be limited by bandwidth
more than cpu I'm not sure its a big win compared to the effort to get
it working as part of the build system. But what the hell do i know
anyways.

-jef