Fedora and Google search: the final report

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 21:52:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>  What if, as part of this new "community grid" project (which I like
>  calling "Trellis"), we offered people the ability to pitch in with the
>  web-crawling duties?  This is not limited to just Fedora users, but
>  here's one possibility:  Installing user sees firstboot module providing
>  Trellis.  User opts in, then from a menu of system resource donations,
>  selects either (1) "wikia," or (2) "Fedora, I trust you, use this time
>  for whatever you like," which maps to a certain proporation of donation
>  for wikia (published somewhere, with a link).
>
>  This isn't purely about CPU cycles anymore, but it's still worth
>  considering.

Actually cycles to support wikia indexing makes a lot more sense to me
than packaging building.
If only we had a more solid relationship with NSF so that we could get
specific science research ideas on board quickly.  Actually...

Paul when are you going to DC for that conference?  If I found someone
from NSF for you to talk to about Fedora as a technology base for
computational science would you be interested?  If we make an
investment into this sort of grid, it might not hurt to beat NSF and
NIH over the head about it...repeatedly.

-jef