Fedora websites and licensing

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon May 26 19:56:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 14:51 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Doesn't the CLA allow us to re-license contributions that came in from
> start to finish by people who have signed the CLA?

I'm fairly certain only the copyright holder can license and re-license.
The CLA definitely does not assign copyright, only copyright license.
Now, the copyright license _could_ grant rights to re-license, but this
one doesn't AFAIK.

AFAICT, the CLA gives us the rights to continue using, modifying, and
distributing the various contributions to the Websites codebase.  But if
we want to license it so it is clear for others down the road, we'll
likely need to approach all copyright holders to get permission.  We had
to do that when we moved documentation to the OPL from the GNU FDL.  We
had to drop parts of one (defunct) guide because the author did not
agree to the re-licensing.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41