Proposal for ML conduct

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Fri May 15 17:25:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 08:59 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm glad to see some positivity in this - i.e. "be excellent to each
> other".
>
> Personally, I really like GNOME's Code of Conduct, particularly "Assume
> people mean well":
>
>   http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct
>
> Note the subtle difference of tone - "Here's what we consider excellent
> behaviour" versus "Here's what we consider unacceptable behaviour".

Yeah.  My personal mental model of the rules was always along the lines
of:

1) Don't be an ass.
2) If you find yourself trying to explain why your behaviour doesn't
violate rule 1, it does, and you're doing it again.

But I like the positive formulation better.  The trick with positive
forms is they need to be lead by example, and culturally speaking very
few communities have people who go out of their way to be positive all
the time every time.  I don't know how we cultivate that, but we ought
to.

- ajax