[Fedora-ambassadors-list] RedHat v/s Fedora Events

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Sun Apr 9 08:23:56 UTC 2006

Le dimanche 09 avril 2006 à 09:16 +0200, Aurelien Bompard a écrit :
> > #001 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnleashKDE
> >
> > KDE will be Extras soon for the release of Fedora Core 7, according to
> > UnleashKDE.
> > Really unleash isn't the right word here, it sounds like DUMPING KDE.
>
> Well, actually I think it would be a good thing for KDE in Fedora. I'm a KDE
> user, and I use Rex Dieter's KDE packages from kde-redhat.sf.net.
> The work he (and the kde-redhat team, but mainly he) does on these packages
> is absolutely outstanding. He proposes the latest KDE, the day it's out,
> for every FC release since even the days of Red Hat 7.3, plus RHEL 3 & 4.
> And the packages are of extremely good quality.
>
> If the KDE packages can be maintained by the community, including of course
> Rex, (+ the current Red Hat maintainer) instead of the current Red Hat
> maintainer only, I'm convinced KDE would get much more love and be much
> more polished than it is now. The kde-redhat team just knows KDE better.

However, I'm afraid that a Fedora Kubuntu-like may be released one day.
Fedora would be a base on which one team add GNOME on it while another
team is adding KDE on it. I'm more afraid of deviding the comunity that
anything else.

> In my opinion, "Unleash KDE" is the right word. But since Fedora is commited
> to proposing both environments at install time, we need to be able to
> install from Extras in Anaconda, plus we need to do the work of moving KDE
> out of core, with all the dependencies, and that's just a lot of work.

Having to connect yourself to the internet during the installation
process, with dhcp, is *absolutely* not user-friendly at all.
Wouldn't it be easier to have :
Fedora base : 2 cds
Gnome : 1 cds
KDE : 1 cds

and a question in anaconda asking "what cds do you have?", and then
suggesting the right packages thanks to the answer we provided.

It sounds that i'm off topic here :)

Thomas