[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Are we in a state of Chaos?

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Fri Apr 21 20:43:32 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 15:20, "Alex Maier" <lxmaier at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Clair Shaw <clair at freehold.no-ip.info> wrote:
> > > Ambassadors project is what the Ambassadors make it--as long as it
> > > does not contradict with the Aims and the Mission.
> >
> > Ok.. what's the difference between Ambassadors and Marketing?
>
> fedora-marketing-list is a discussion list, people talk there, but do
> not get stuff done, according to my experience.
>
> fedora-ambassadors-list however is a project, with a steering
> committee and a budget, that gets things done by supporting individual
> Ambassadors' initiatives.

Fedora Ambassadors was given 100% focus after it was created.  That is the
reason that Marketing has become what it now is.  It *used* to get things
done.  It *used* to be lively, complete with meetings (which were promptly
dissolved and replaced with Ambassadors meetings) and several major
milestones (including formation of the Ambassadors program) achieved.  The
fact that management neglected it horribly does not change the purposes of
each of Ambassadors and Marketing.  The close timing between when the
Community Marketing Contacts idea arose and when the management of Marketing
was handed off was unfortunate.

It is highly inappropriate for the Ambassadors program to extend its reach
into projects that are not within its scope.  I have no objection to
Ambassadors having its own sub-projects, nor with status updates being
provided by members of other projects, but the Ambassadors program must know
where to draw the line.  Fracturing can occur if ambassadors fail to
acknowledge what items belong to what projects.

A more fair statement of what is within the Ambassadors scope would be "all
items which meet the stated mission and goals of the Fedora Ambassadors
program and do not conflict with any other existing Fedora project."
Attempts to extend beyond that scope will only cause problems for the
Ambassadors program and for the Fedora Project.

As a side note, fedora-france.org stands quite well on its own as a community
resource, just like projetofedora.org and others.  They don't need to be
pulled into the Ambassadors umbrella, but every bit of exposure will help
them.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com