[Ambassadors] Policy RFC: Dealing with Media (and no I don't mean CD/DVDs)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 04:40:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Brian Powell <bpowell01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with what Quaid stated in the channel but I would want to
> clarify exactly what "Big Things" constitute.
>
> It was my understanding that the press releases in question are local
> media not national and while local impressions are important if "we"
> as Ambassadors are trusted and free to talk about Fedora at events etc
> without restrictions why shouldnt the same hold true with local media?
> This is of course unless an official policy is already in place that
> everyone during the meeting was not aware of.
>
> I would question though what exactly needs to occur if say the
> following were to happen?  I present a speech about Fedora at my local
> college Technology Symposium and there happens to be local media
> coverage (ie newspaper, radio, or television) that I was not aware was
> going to be there and they approach me for an interview, do I need to
> turn them away because I need permission to talk with them first?

I don't think you need permission at all. You just represented Fedora
at your talk. This is what happens when developing policy - it always
opens an endless can of worms. Writing policy that is useful is always
hard, even for the simplest things. If you have doubts and have the
opportunity check with the marketing group. If it just comes up then
use your judgment.

John