[Ambassadors] What to Do?

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 04:36:12 UTC 2009

> He would not be the first person to do so. At one point it was so bad
> that Nicu drew a comic representing that many Ambassadors did the same
> thing. This was and is a problem. We've taken several steps to address
> it but it isn't completely effective.
>
> We purged a number of inactive Ambassadors - several hundred as a
> matter of fact. I know you claim this isn't about inactive people -
> but that's a pretty low barrier to eliminate a number of people who
> don't care about representing Fedora enough to keep their account
> active. I'll be the first person to say that there are many times I
> wish we could dramatically reboot this entire process and start over
> again. I think many of us would do it dramatically different. That
> said we are trying to eliminate this problem going forward with
> mentoring.

> Generally speaking I don't think that most of these problems are
> caused by people acting maliciously

Problem is, we still don't have a method for identifying which one of
the existing ambassadors need more mentoring. I bet a whole lot of
them will do better with it.

I know of someone, who, unable to convince a customer about
openoffice, installed m$office 2007 using wine.

When asked, he said he didn't know all the features of openoffice and
the user insisted on some particular feature. So to stop her migrating
back to win$, he did install m$office using wine.

Surely, this is a case of ignorance and he needs more mentoring.
Problem is, as I said, how do we know about these people? They aren't
coming up on their own. So we need to think alternately.

--
Regards,
Susmit.

ssh