[Ambassadors] BIT Linux User Group's Fedora Workshop and Install Fest

David Anderson dca at projectcellular.com
Thu Aug 27 10:39:22 UTC 2009

>> We had some slides prepared by our volunteers. We showed them the
>alternatives
>> of windows applications available for linux, like for media player we have
>> rhythmbox. We also had some "Tux v/s Windows" fight videos. We told them
>> about benefits of installing fedora (A distro which comprises every latest
>> stuff and yet it is highly stable). All this made up an environment for the
>> install fest which was scheduled the next day. We also invited feedbacks in
>> the nd. Most of them were positive though some were a bit disappointed that
>> we didn't bashed windows to a greater extent.
>> Photographs : http://picasaweb.google.com/lug.bitmesra/10August2009
>

>I find this approach of contrasting very useful. Can I have a copy of
>the presentation you used and/or any supplementary materials?
>I'd really appreciate it.
>Thanks
>
>--
You know, the problems I've had with showing off Rhythmbox, Totem, VLC, other media players when doing installfests and demos is the codecs.  It's getting around that there are 3rd party repos available (for any distro) that can provide patent encumbered codecs to areas of the world (unfortunately U.S.) where this would constitute a huge no-no.  It needs to be driven home that MP3 (Fraunhofer), AAC/M4A (Apple), WMA (Microsoft), DVD decoders & codecs all require moneys to be paid to each holder for the use of their patents which is why Windows is so expensive.  Currently I see multimedia codecs available direct from the guys who make the gstreamer framework but I think the packages are only for Ubuntu & opensolaris.  I don't know why I'm hijacking the thread or bringing it up now but nine times out of ten when I meet & discuss or present it always turns into a "Windows equivalent" app to app issue where when you get to the multimedia, it's not as cut & dry.  I guess, bottom line, be careful when explaining benefits of FOSS to the newly initiated.

      -david.