[Ambassadors] Using Social network/tools to promote events

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 18:32:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 03:09:54PM +0200, Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> Take a look at: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_social_networks
>
> According to that page, Fedora project has its own spaces in the main
> social networks.
>
> Why don't use (fill) these spaces with events we cover (invites and reports)?

Your points are good ones, Francesco.  I'd like to suggest that this
work be done n coordination with the Marketing team.  Further, I'd
like to suggest that as much as possible we try to use existing
networks, groups, and channels that have large numbers of subscribers
already, if the event listings target the whole Fedora Project.

I frequently receive email from people asking if they should create
*new* groups on existing networks.  I think this is justified if the
new group will be language or locality specific.  The new local group
should always have information available for people to find and join
the larger, global groups.  Also, they should have information for
people to find and join the Fedora Project itself, and encourage
people to get involved beyond their locality where possible.

I think the Ambassadors do a spectacular job of this already, and we
should try our best to make the same thing happen in social networks
that Ambassadors already do "IRL" (in real life).