Updates on the Fedora CVS server

Cristian Gafton gafton at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 05:21:06 UTC 2004

We have opened to the public the anonymous access CVS server for Fedora
Core and Fedora Extras. The server lives on http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com
and it has been in use for quite some time now.

The CVS server currently hosts two major projects, with more headed its
way:

1. Fedora Core read-only anonymous mirror for our internal Fedora
development tree. Now you can follow through CVS every commit done by the
Red Hat engineers to the Fedora Core development tree. You can quickly
reference when, where and why certain changes have been inserted into your
favorite packages.
 	CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/dist
 	export CVSROOT

2. Fedora Extras repository. Thanks to a group of very dedicated
volunteers the repository has been updated to be compatible with the
Fedora Core 3; we're working on getting an automated build system in place
that will provide binary rpms for all out of this repository.
 	CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/extras
 	export CVSROOT

Detailed checkout instructions are available on the CVS server's home
page, at http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/

For those that do not want to read instructions and want to get to the
"bleeding edge" as fast as possible, we have daily checkout snapshots
available at http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/webfiles/

After unpacking your download, you can issue a "cvs update" to bring the
tree in sync with the latest changes since the archive was created. If
this is the first time accessing the Fedora CVS server, you will need to
do a "cvs login", hit Enter when asked for a password, and then attempt
the "cvs update".

ViewCVS is also available for both of these repositories if you prefer to
browse through the packages:
- Fedora Core: http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/?root=core
- Fedora Extras: http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/?root=extras

There are also CVS-related mailing lists that you can subscribe to. these
mailing lists publish the CVS commits as they happen. If you are curious,
you can sign up for the mailing lists at the following links:
- Fedora Core:
- Fedora Extras: