Fedora Weekly News Issue 109

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 12 08:50:19 UTC 2007

= Fedora Weekly News Issue 109 =

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 109 for the week of November 5th.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue109

In Announcements, we have "Announcing the release of Fedora 8
(Werewolf)", "Fedora Unity releases Fedora 8 CD Sets", "rpm.livna.org
repositories for Fedora 8 (Werewolf) now available", "ATrpms for
Fedora 8; EOL for Fedora Core 6" and "Unofficial Fedora FAQ Updated
for Fedora 8!"

In Planet Fedora, we have "Lesser-Known Fedora Contributors", "Part
1-6, Report: LTSP Hackfest 2007", "motd-File for your machine",
"Fedora Electronic Lab 8 - Stable release", "Fedora Unity Spin
Report", "Fedora 8 Games Spin - Feedback Requested", "Fedora Media
Labels Howto", and "I am a Broken Record"

To join or give us your feedback, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join.

   1. Announcements
         1. Announcing the release of Fedora 8 (Werewolf)
         2. Fedora Unity releases Fedora 8 CD Sets
         3. rpm.livna.org repositories for Fedora 8 (Werewolf) now available
         4. ATrpms for Fedora 8; EOL for Fedora Core 6
         5. Unofficial Fedora FAQ Updated for Fedora 8!
   2. Ask Fedora
         1. KDE 4
   3. Planet Fedora
         1. Lesser-Known Fedora Contributors, Part 1-6
         2. Report: LTSP Hackfest 2007
         3. motd-File for your machine
         4. Fedora Electronic Lab 8 - Stable release
         5. Fedora Unity Spin Report
         6. Fedora 8 Games Spin - Feedback Requested
         7. Fedora Media Labels Howto
         8. I am a Broken Record
   4. Developments
         1. Codec Buddy Misleading?
         2. Java Plugin Not Working In Fedora 8
         3. Deltarpms For Fedora 7 To Fedora 8 Upgrade
         4. OpenID Support In Fedora 9?
         5. When Will CVS Be Replaced By A Modern SCM?
         6. Smolt And Software Information
         7. Bogus Permissions
         8. Rpmbuild: Unset CFLAGS?
         9. Fedora 9 Brainstorming
        10. Services Should Not Start By Default
   5. Advisory Board
         1. Fedora Legal Updates
         2. Improving The Fedora Development Process
   6. Documentation
         1. Wiki Collaboration
         2. What Writing Tools Do You Use?
         3. Fedora Documentation Steering Committee (FDSCo) Meeting
         4. Administration Guide Work
         5. The KDE-SIG needs (your) help
         6. POT/PO Update for Release Notes
   7. Artwork
         1. Nodoka Window Decorations for KDE
         2. Arts in Brazil
         3. CD Box Draft
         4. Hardcoded Icons
         5. Fedora 8 Features in PDF
   8. Security Week
         1. Fedora 8 released
         2. pcre
   9. Advisories and Updates
         1. Fedora 8 Security Advisories
         2. Fedora 7 Security Advisories
         3. Fedora Core 6 Security Advisories
  10. Events and Meetings
         1. Fedora Board Meeting Minutes 2007-MM-DD
         2. Fedora Ambassadors Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         3. Fedora Documentation Steering Committee (Log) 2007-MM-DD
         4. Fedora Engineering Steering Committee Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         5. Fedora Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Report Week 44
         6. Fedora Infrastructure Meeting (Log) 2007-11-08
         7. Fedora Localization Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         8. Fedora Marketing Meeting 2007-MM-DD
         9. Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2007-MM-DD
        10. Fedora Quality Assurance Meeting 2007-11-07
        11. Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2007-11-05
        12. Fedora SIG KDE Meeting 2007-11-06

[[Anchor(Announcements)]]
== Announcements ==

In this section, we cover announcements from Fedora Project.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Announcing the release of Fedora 8 (Werewolf) ===

JesseKeating announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"(To the tune of Michael Jackson's "Thriller") It's close to midnight
and something cool is coming through the "tubes"
It's looking real tight, a distro for the experts and the n00bs
With Live CDs* so you can try it out before installing
Or DVDs so you can have the packages you choose
No way to lose"

"'Cause it's Fedora, Fedora 8
We'd love to have you join us and together we'll be great
Using Fedora, Fedora 8
Just click the link and rescue your computer's future today"

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-November/msg00006.html

=== Fedora Unity releases Fedora 8 CD Sets ===

JeroenVanMeeuwen announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"The Fedora Unity Project is proud to announce the release of new CD
Spins of Fedora 8. These CD ISOs are based on the Fedora 8 DVD.iso.
The ISO images are available for i386 and x86_64 architectures via
jigdo starting Thursday, November 8th, 2007. We have included CD Image
sets for those in the Fedora community that do not have DVD drives or
burners available."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-November/msg00008.html

=== rpm.livna.org repositories for Fedora 8 (Werewolf) now available ===

ThorstenLeemhuis announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"On behalf of the Livna ( http://rpm.livna.org ) contributers I'd like to
announce the availability of the Livna package repository for Fedora 8
(Werewolf). The Livna repository hosts software as RPM packages which
cannot be shipped in the official Fedora repository for various reasons
and supports the i386, x86_64 and ppc architectures."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-November/msg00004.html

=== ATrpms for Fedora 8; EOL for Fedora Core 6 ===

AxelThimm announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"ATrpms is officially launching Fedora 8 support for i386, x86_64 and
ppc. http://ATrpms.net/dist/f8/"

"FC6 support will be EOL'd once the Fedora Project drops support for
it (e.g. on December 7, 2007)."

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-November/msg00005.html

=== Unofficial Fedora FAQ Updated for Fedora 8! ===

MaxKanatAlexander announces in fedora-announce-list[1],

"Hello! Right along with the release of Fedora 8, we're ready with the
Fedora 8 version of the Unofficial Fedora FAQ!
http://www.fedorafaq.org/"

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2007-November/msg00011.html

[[Anchor(AskFedora)]]
== Ask Fedora ==

In this section, we answer general questions from Fedora community.
Send your questions to askfedora AT fedoraproject.org and Fedora News
Team will bring you answers from the Fedora Developers and
Contributors to selected number of questions every week as part of our
weekly news report. Please indicate if you do not wish your name
and/or email address to be published.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AskFedora

Contributing Writer: RexDieter

=== KDE 4 ===

"Robert Myers <mystinar AT comcast.net>:  When KDE 4 is released next
month, will packages for it be added to the Fedora 8 repositories?"

Robert,  here's the cliff's notes answer:

KDE4 development platform is already in Fedora 8.  For details:

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Devel/KDE4DevelopmentPlatform
 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Desktop

When KDE 4.0 is released, we are strongly considering including KDE4
editions of kdeedu, kdegames as well, but the final decision hasn't
been made.

The rest of KDE4 is Fedora 9 territory:

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureKDE4

which is currently a bit out of date, but we'll be working on that
once Fedora 8 is out the door.

[[Anchor(PlanetFedora)]]
== Planet Fedora ==

In this section, we cover a highlight of Planet Fedora - an
aggregation of blogs from world wide Fedora contributors.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet

Contributing Writers: ThomasChung

=== Lesser-Known Fedora Contributors, Part 1-6 ===

MaxSpevack points out in his blog[1-6],

"I must say, I have always been very impressed with our Brazilian
Fedora community. They have created their own website, and they have
always been very good about getting a lot of value out of the
relatively small amount of money that we are able to send their way.
In particular, I would like to thank RodrigoPadula and DavidBarzilay."

"Most of Jon's (JonathanRoberts).contributions come as a writer -- he
is particularly active in the Fedora News and the Fedora Documentation
communities. In the Fedora 8 cycle, he has done a few things that have
been tremendously helpful to me directly. The first is his work on the
Fedora 8 Release Summary. The release summary is basically the Fedora
community's "press release", written by a group of volunteers and
meant to be a reasonably brief overview of "what is cool in the new
distribution".

"Ricky (RickyZhou) has had a lot to do with the entire look-and feel
of the non-wiki section of fedoraproject.org. Right now, I hear, he is
debugging the way fedoraproject.org renders when viewed with Internet
Explorer 6, which actually tells you pretty much everything you need
to know about his desire to see a Job Done Well."

"Allison Mc``Grath (wife of MikeMcGrath) has made a tremendous
contribution to the Fedora Project by being kind-hearted and
understanding to her husband of less than one week when the Fedora 8
release fell directly in between their wedding and their honeymoon."

"In the Fedora 8 timeframe, Chitlesh (ChitleshGoorah) is the man
behind the Fedora Electronics Lab, one of the new custom spins that is
being released with Fedora 8. Not only did he have the initial vision
for the Fedora Electronics Lab, but he also maintains many of the
packages that differentiate that spin from the more generic version of
Fedora."

"Gerold (GeroldKassube) has been the organizer for Fedora's presence
at LinuxTag in 2006, 2007, and 2008. It is probably the biggest Linux
show in Europe. Even more important, from a community point of view,
Gerold has organized a series of Fedora Ambassador Days, which have
gathered together 10-15 folks from all over Europe, and planned out
their Fedora Ambassador strategy for the coming year."

[1] http://spevack.livejournal.com/33893.html

[2] http://spevack.livejournal.com/34215.html

[3] http://spevack.livejournal.com/34370.html

[4] http://spevack.livejournal.com/34700.html

[5] http://spevack.livejournal.com/35162.html

[6] http://spevack.livejournal.com/35470.html

=== Report: LTSP Hackfest 2007 ===

WarrenTogami points out in his blog[1],

"LTSP is Linux Terminal Server Project, a collection of tools and
scripts to enable Linux desktops to networks of thin clients.  Through
K12LTSP, literally thousands of schools and hundreds of thousands of
students worldwide have been exposed to Red Hat and Fedora Linux over
the past 6+ years.  This report is on my trip to the latest LTSP
hackfest, where I am working toward integration of LTSP directly into
the Fedora Project."

[1] http://wtogami.livejournal.com/20047.html

=== motd-File for your machine ===

FabianAffolter points out in his blog[1],

"After the establishing of a connection to a machine over ssh there is
the possibility to display a message. sshd is looking in the file
named /etc/motd for the data. The limitations are that there should
not be more than 80 digits a line."

[1] http://fabaff.blogspot.com/2007/11/motd-file-for-your-machine.html

=== Fedora Electronic Lab 8 - Stable release ===

ChitleshGoorah points out his blog[1],

"Last Thursday, 8th November 2007, the very first Fedora Electronic
Lab LiveCD was released officially. This LiveCD is based on Fedora 8
KDE along with almost all electronic design tools."

[1] http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2007/11/fedora-electronic-lab-8-stable-release.html

=== Fedora Unity Spin Report ===

JeroenVanMeeuwen points out in his blog[1],

"Our Fedora 8 CD Set jigdo has been downloaded over 350 times, while
our latest Re-Spin has been downloaded almost 300 times."

[1] http://kanarip.blogspot.com/2007/11/fedora-unity-spin-report.html

=== Fedora 8 Games Spin - Feedback Requested ===

RahulSundaram points out in his blog[1],

"One of the custom spins of Fedora that didn't get much attention
because of the late addition is the Fedora 8 Games spin. This custom
version of Fedora 8 from the games special interest group in Fedora
includes tons of free and open source Linux games in a installable
Live DVD. Download it and check it out. More information is available
at the game spin wiki page. Any feedback is most welcome."

[1] http://rahulsundaram.livejournal.com/17475.html

=== Fedora Media Labels Howto ===

MairinDuffy points out in her blog[1],

"so it seems some folks had some trouble with the labels I posted
before - it's not easy to work with the SVGs without some Inkscape
knowledge since the way I did them they aren't perfectly sized (there
is some padding around them.)"

[1] http://mihmo.livejournal.com/49341.html

=== I am a Broken Record ===

JefSpaleta pionts out in his blog[1]

"Most people would consider the outage a big problem, but it sort of
provided an interesting 'event' in the life of my f8 release
animation. See while the outage was happening and the infrastructure
team was shuffling around resources, so people didn't notice the
disruption for too long, the logs I rely on to track f8 clients were
seeing dead air. You can see exactly when the outage occurs in the
theora video and exactly when the normal mirrorlist logging
functionality is restored."

[1] http://jspaleta.livejournal.com/15512.html

[[Anchor(Developments)]]

== Developments ==

In this section, we cover the problems/solutions, people/personalities, and
ups/downs of the endless discussions on Fedora Developments.

Contributing Writer: OisinFeeley

=== Codec Buddy Misleading? ===

An EU-based user (MarkG85) of Fedora 8 wondered[1] why CodecBuddy[2]
was prompting him to pay to download codecs which he judged to be
legally obtainable without payment within his legal jurisdiction. His
suggestion was that GeoIP[3] functionality should be integrated with
CodecBuddy in order to customize the prompts so that EU users were not
misled into paying. MarkG85 also suggested that Red Hat should provide
an EU-located server in order to circumvent the legal problems.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00536.html

[2] See JonathanRoberts' interview with BastienNocera and
ThomasVanderStichele for an overview of the functionality provided by
CodecBuddy and some of the background to its inclusion in Fedora 8
including Fluendo's granting of a free (beer) mp3 codec.

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation_software

As the topic of the provision of legally dubious software (especially
codecs for popular media types) has been discussed extensively and
repeatedly in the past on several Fedora maillists and in more public
forums there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm expressed by several
people.  MichaelWiktowy got straight to the point when he
suggested[3a] that a search of @fedora-devel's archives and the use of
''rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm'' would solve any
problems.

[3a] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00537.html

The recent advice from Red Hat's legal counsel was alluded to by Mark
and JeffSpaleta followed up[4] with an explanation that any
distributed material could not contain even links to such software,
but that the Fedora Project's web pages could.  Jef suggested that it
would be ideal if users of third-party repositories were willing to
help upstream ''codeina''[5] development implement hooks to additional
"vendors" (presumably including non-commercial repositories in
locations not affected by bizarre "intellectual property" rules).

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00538.html

[5] Codeina is a synonym for CodecBuddy, see:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/Codeina

A certain amount of questioning about why things have to be done this
way led to further suggestions[6] that anyone still interested should
search the archives ("contributory infringement" being a useful phrase
in this regard).  "MarkG85" and others explored some hypothetical
situations including wondering[7] why SourceForge is able to host
''gstreamer-plugins-bad'' but in the end these all rested on an
imperfect understanding of US and EU law. AlanCox answered[8] the
latter specific question with the information that US law (presumably
Section 230 of the CDA[9]) provided protection to those merely hosting
content.  DavidNielsen summed things up well when he asked[10] in
exasperation "Do you think we enjoy keeping media support from our
users when we have perfectly good implementations available under OSI
approved licenses?  If there was a legal way to make this work, we
would be doing it."

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00540.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00654.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00660.html

[9] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications_Decency_Act#Section_230

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00621.html

As an interesting aside RahulSundaram provided[11] a link to a map
depicting the geographical concentrations of contributors to Fedora's
CVS repositories. Rahul added that from a legal perspective this was
irrelevant as Red Hat is based in the USA and takes on the liability
for the Fedora Project.  KevinKofler and Rahul discussed[12] the
possibility of a non-US-based "Fedora Foundation".

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00646.html

[12] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00649.html

=== Java Plugin Not Working In Fedora 8 ===

The problem of getting the Java plugin working properly with Firefox
cropped up again (see FWN#108 "IcedTea Plugin On x86_64"[1]) when
ValentTurkovic posted[2] that despite having used ''yum install
java-plugin'' Firefox still did not appear to work on a test site.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue108#head-b6b24cabe831968ccc3a972977d2f02615a29e01

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00559.html

There were several helpful responses, including one from HansdeGoede
who repeated[3] the advice offered by BillNottingham in the
previous[1] thread to run ''mozilla-plugin-config -i -f'' as root in
order to set up ''nspluginwrapper'' to search the correct paths for
plugins. Hans added that this should be document and fixed and
MartinStransky reported[4] the happy news that the latest build (at
that stage[5] 0.9.91.5) fixed this problem.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00583.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00586.html

[5] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=21875

MikeHarris (ex-Red Hat XFree86 maintainer) popped in to report that he
was having no Java problems requiring manual intervention on an x86_64
installation of Fedora 8 although he had noticed that many other
people had.  He surmised[6] that problems were due to upgrading from a
previous version (as opposed to a fresh install of the OS) or else the
presence of a Sun/IBM/Other Java installation.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00567.html

Valent replied that this was a fresh Fedora 8 LiveCD and after Hans
repeated his advice Valent reported[7] that everything was now fine
but wondered why it was not all "automagic".  BillNottingham posted[8]
that an update would be forthcoming to make it so.

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00585.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00597.html

=== Deltarpms For Fedora 7 To Fedora 8 Upgrade ===

The availability of deltarpms (see FWN#97 "Presto-digitation"[1]) to
ease upgrading from Fedora 7 to Fedora 8 using yum was advertised[2]
by JonathanDieter.  JonathanUnderwood hoped that they would be for
both x86_64 and i386 architectures, but JonathanDieter had to
regretfully say[3] that they x86_64 deltarpms would not be ready for
some days (probably by Sunday 11th Nov).

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue97#head-e50aaa8581b2a6606447223a3958ec56aebb7079

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00462.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00468.html

A little later JonathanDieter advised that the Fedora 7 to Fedora 8
deltarpms would take a little more time to prepare, but that he had
good news in the form of deltarpms for Fedora 8 updates.  He also drew
attention to a small change, which was that ''deltaurl='' should no
longer be used and instead
''baseurl=http://lesloueizeh.com/f8/i386/updates'' should be inserted
into ''etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo''.  This change is due[5]
to a desire to reduce the code complexity and result in Jonathan
hosting the repository until the Fedora Project is able to change Koji
and Bodhi to build and publish the deltarpms. This work is apparently
under way[6][7].

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00500.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00545.html

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00547.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00497.html

On Friday Jonathan announced[8] that the deltarpms for upgrades from
Fedora 7 to Fedora 8 were ready (a little quicker than he promised!).
He provided a link to the YumUpgradeFaq and repeated the caution that
it was necessary to edit ''/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo'' as described
above. He provided a very compelling 84% bandwidth reduction example
for a whole repository upgrade.

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00544.html

=== OpenID Support In Fedora 9? ===

An interesting discussion ensued when NealBecker posted[1] a link to
an article on LWN which discussed the advances made in the 2.0 release
of the OpenID implementation of a "Single Sign On" (SSO) system.  Neal
asked whether it could be integrated into Fedora 9.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00427.html

RichiPlana was interested and thought[2] it could work well with the
GNOME Online desktop, but wondered how UIDs could be mapped to
OpenIDs.  He sought advice on which libraries he should use for PKI,
string processing and networking in order to implement a PAM module
for Fedora.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00471.html

A cooler assessment came from SimoSorce who listed[3] the problem of
UIDs in networked environments, emphasizing their local,
non-network-aware nature.  Simo suggested two possible solutions: one,
making UIDs 128bit (effectively transforming them into UUIDs); or 2)
make UIDs local only by a mapping facility in vfs which can translate
each UID across networks. Simo had hard words to say about NIS and
LDAP, characterizing their syncing of UIDs as "just *bad* hacks."

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00478.html

Although these problems were recognized by ColinWalters he
suggested[4] the third option of using situation-specific logic and
not trying to generalize the problem and solve it for all possible
cases. AlanCox re-framed[5] the discussion in terms of the usefulness
of LDAP or NIS being able to locally answer the "who owns this?" as
opposed to the "can I ...?" questions. He suggested that the problems
of remote filesystems being attached to local systems had been solved
by AFS (which was designed for distributed computing and uses Kerberos
to manage authentication) and that NFSv4 had the correct framework.

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00479.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00481.html

Simo was not convinced that ID mapping problems had been solved and
wondered[6] what key management (which Alan had mentioned was
integrated into the kernel) brought to the table.  Further discussion
centered[7][8] around the overlap between the authentication and user
identity domains.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00490.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00504.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00511.html

=== When Will CVS Be Replaced By A Modern SCM? ===

A _very_ long thread was initiated[1] by AdamTkac when he asked
whether there were plans to replace CVS with a more modern SCM/VCS[0]
such as  Mercurial/Hg, SVN or Git.  JeffreyOllie suggested that a
search of the archives would answer most questions as this had been
discussed many times before.  He pointed out that there is no
consensus on which alternative to choose and that Koji and Plague
would both need work done on them in order to support whatever is
chosen.  DanWilliams thought[2] that Plague should be able to support
Git and/or Subversion.

[0] SCM and VCS are used interchangeably in this discussion, standing
for Software Configuration Management and Version Control System
respectively. DVCS stands for Distributed VCS. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_configuration_management

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00453.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00388.html

JoshBoyer asked[3] for any specific workflows which could be only be
obtained with a new VCS.  One suggestion from TomasJanousek was[4]
that it was difficult to obtain a patchset from an arbitrary old
history of the specfile, but LesMikesell suggested running ''viewvc''
(which used to be ''cvsweb'') on the repository and VilleSkyttä
provided an URL which allowed the viewing of all branches through the
browser interface, all of which made ChristopherAillon happy[5].

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00384.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00395.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00485.html

Adam provided some specific problems with his workflow[6] including
the problem of easily moving a source tree under development and more.
 He admitted that they were solvable with CVS but he felt there were
probably better ways of doing this with other systems. JesseKeating
pressed for specifics and when Adam suggested that local repositories,
branches and commits were desirable an interesting question was
asked[7] by AndrewBartlett.  Andrew pointed out that while distributed
VCSs were attractive to the SAMBA Team their use of a centralized
build farm (similar to Koji) only worked with the centralized model
enforced by CVS. Jesse replied[8] to Adam that while he loved the idea
of distributed SCMs he thought that the workflow which Adam described
would result in an increased burden on most maintainers.

[6] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00422.html

[7] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00433.html

[8] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00437.html

The problem of server outages (earlier mentioned by Adam) was expanded
on when LubomirKundrak advocated[9] retaining the current system and
pointed out that other services/servers had outages.  MatejCepl's
response[10] pointing out that with a distributed VCS the users can
just commit locally and keep working led to skepticism from
RalfCorsepius followed by an explanation[11] from SimoSorce. JoshBoyer
and CaseyDahlin pointed[12] to the problem of distributing the
buildsystem as the limiting factor on the usefulness of a distributed
VCS.

[9] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00454.html

[10] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00475.html

[11] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00495.html

[12] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00543.html

FlorianLaRoche answered[13] the original query with the information
that the Git backend to Koji needed testing and that this was
important for the SecondaryArchitecture plans (see FWN#90 "Fedora
Secondary Architectures Proposal"[14] and FWN#92 "Secondary Arch
Proposal Cont."[15]).

[13] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00420.html

[14] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue90#head-271f52b8e5603cd40d00d7c44ec8632cae42b1aa

[15] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue92#head-c3434293278dd5591422aebad936fcf2231403eb

Strong disagreement was expressed[16] by KarelZak with JoshBoyer's
statements that CVS was fine because most work was on editing
specfiles. Karel argued that specfiles were not central to his Fedora
work and that the problem was that source code was not maintained in
Fedora's CVS which meant that a ream of advantages were being lost.
TomasMraz agreed[17] but noted that the packages CVS tree was fine for
its purpose and that a set of scripts could provide a bridge between
it and a DVCS with the features which Karel wanted.  When MatejCepl
provided a link to such a tool, Karel stated "We don't talk about a
bridge between CVS and DVCS. We need a way how convert src.rpm to real
source code tree that is managed by DVCS" which left Matej (and your
author) confused[18].

[16] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00528.html

[17] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00550.html

[18] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00589.html

The thread flared up again when JonathanShapiro (from the CoyotOS
group) provided[19] evidence that a centralized workflow could benefit
from using a DVCS. Jesse wondered how many of the advantages realized
within the CoyotOS project would be procedures commonly used in
Fedora, to which ToshioKuratomi replied affirmatively[20] using his
experience with Python "eggs". NilsPhilippsen also provided a list of
things which could be done more easily with DVCS to which Jesse again
asked[21] how frequently these operations would be carried out.  Jesse
stated that it was necessary to balance the extra complexity of
imposing a DVCS on each maintainer against the advantages gained by
its use.

[19] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00453.html

[20] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00474.html

=== Smolt And Software Information ===

Recent IRC discussions (in #smolt) were reported[1] by YaakovNemoy to
concern the collection of information about partitioning, drive sizes
and filesystem types.  Yaakov had two questions: first, was it useful
to collect such information; second, were there privacy concerns?
Yaakov was very open and encouraging of criticism during the thread.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00604.html

An exchange with "nodata" concerning the lack of access controls on
the UUID script resulted[2] in the filing of a bugzilla entry.
"Nodata" made the point that although current voluntary participants
might be happy to give their UUID to a developer for the current
limited amount of information linked to it, they would be less willing
to do so as more details were tied to the single UUID.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00613.html

=== Bogus Permissions ===

Some odd permissions (the Inventor* rpms had the execute bit set) in
the "8/Everything/i386/os/Packages" directory were noticed[1] by
RalfCorsepius. JesseKeating replied that the error was known and that
it was being ignored until things calmed down as there was no obvious
harm being done.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00670.html

Ralf acknowledged[2] that there was no direct harm but that it wasn't
pretty and also pointed[3] out that low-bandwidth users might be upset
that they would need to download the packages again later.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00672.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00676.html

=== Rpmbuild: Unset CFLAGS? ===

DebarshiRay (rishi) posted[1] that he had found while building
''proxyknife'' that it was necessary to make some adjustments to the
values of CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS in order to have ''rpmbuild'' complete
building the package.  Koji builds worked perfectly without any
changes. Rishi wondered if it was a good idea to unset the two
variables by default.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00610.html

After some help from JoachimFrieben (who suggested using CPPFLAGS
instead) Rishi suggested[2] that it should be possible for a specfile
to set custom values for CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and FFLAGS. LeszekMatok
declared[3] himself a fan of environment variables in order to save
hours of specfile editing and MikeHarris added[4] a helpful
suggestion.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00615.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00624.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00631.html

=== Fedora 9 Brainstorming ===

JesseKeating announced[1] that Fedora 9 development was going to go
ahead in the Rawhide repository on Friday 9th Nov and provided
instructions for those who wanted to get off at the Fedora 8 stop.  A
useful link to the wiki describing the release engineering strategy
was provided.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00487.html

The instructions to ensure that the ''development'' yum repository
should be disabled for anyone that does _not_ wish to experience the
first attempted compose of Fedora 9 were reiterated by DaveJones who
said "People get bitten by this every release.  And no doubt, people
will this release too, because not all useres will read your
announcement."  Dave suggested[2] that an update to fedora-release
just before the compose might ease this problem. Jesse and Rahul both
pointed out that this would still result in a problem for anyone that
had edited their repository files by hand as these would be used in
preference to any ''.rpmnew'' version supplied.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00489.html

=== Services Should Not Start By Default ===

The sharp-eyed OrionPoplawski noticed[1] that the latest Moodle
specfile seemed to set the CMS to start by default. JonCiesla
explained[2] that he had thought that the ''chkconfig'' line would
result in the service starting on boot and not on install and asked
what the correct thing was to do.  BillNottingham confirmed[3] that
Jon's interpretation was correct, but clarified that the service
should not start on boot either.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00608.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00616.html

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00639.html

[[Anchor(AdvisoryBoard)]]
== Advisory Board ==

In this section, we cover discussion in Fedora Advisory Board.

Contributing Writer: MichaelLarabel

=== Fedora Legal Updates ===

TomCallaway has written a message on the fedora-advisory-board list
with updates on several legal matters[1]. Red Hat Legal has determined
that libgpod/gtkpod support does not violate the DMCA thus Fedora can
implement support for the newer generation iPods. It was also
determining that linking to third-party Fedora RPM repositories is
okay as long as there are no technology patents in question and no
party has asserted their rights, which does include MP3 support.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-November/msg00050.html

=== Improving The Fedora Development Process ===

For future Fedora releases, MaxSpevack has recommended three changes
be made to improve the development process[1]. These three points are
picking a release name sooner in the development cycle, complete the
web content at a specific deadline in the schedule, and more detailed
feature QA/smoke-testing.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-November/msg00072.html

[[Anchor(Documentation)]]
== Documentation ==

In this section, we cover the Fedora Documentation Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Contributing Writer: JohnBabich

=== Wiki Collaboration ===

KarstenWade explained to new contributors to Fedora docs on the wiki
that they may have experienced him or other editors making corrections
to their contributions. This is normal and should be viewed as a great
way to learn while doing. No one should feel that he or she is being
singled out.

He concluded, "You all are doing great work; there is so much activity
on some days the wiki edits just blur by. It makes my heart sing.
:)"[1].

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-November/msg00032.html

=== What Writing Tools Do You Use? ===

MurrayMcAllister asked "what tools everyone is using for writing,
including editors, research tools, diagram tools, graphic tools, and
so on." [1] he currently uses Kate, but is starting to use jEdit.
MarcWiriadisastra is using OpenOffice.org for wiki docs, Dan Smith is
also using Kedit and OpenOffice.org, along with Abi``Word. Dan also
confesses to putting things down on paper. RuturajVartak wrote that he
uses SCIM for Hindi translations, gedit and gtranslator. PaulFrields
is a big Emacs fan, but pines for Open``Office.org with better
XSLT/styling. He notes the potential of SVG. JohnBabich also wishes
OpenOffice.org Writer supported Doc``Book XML better and is excited
about the possibility of supporting text translations inside SVG
diagrams.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-November/msg00022.html

=== Fedora Documentation Steering Committee (FDSCo) Meeting ===

The log[1] of the FDSCo meeting held on 4 November was posted to the
mailing list. There is also an html version[2] available on the Fedora
Project wiki.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-November/msg00014.html

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/Meetings/Minutes/IRCLog20071104

The FDSCo meeting for 11 November 2007 was cancelled.

=== Administration Guide Work ===

There's been some excellent progress lately on the Admninistration Guide.

VladimirKosovac wrote that he just started a Samba write-up for the
Servers section in the Wiki. He understood that TOCs and multiple
pages should be avoided to ease wiki--> Doc``Book conversion. Is that
correct? [1]

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-November/msg00011.html

=== The KDE-SIG needs (your) help ===

JohnBabich seconded the call for help issued by the KDE-SIG,
especially the part asking for documentation writers: "The
documentation (esp. the Desktop``User``Guide) is GNOME-centered. Help
us to provide an equivalent for KDE." [1]

[]1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-November/msg00013.html

=== POT/PO Update for Release Notes ===

PaulFrields did his usual excellent job in getting the Release Notes
in shape for final publication in time for the release of Fedora 8.
Ever the humble person, he acknowledged the hard work done by
everyone:

"Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on getting these ready -- it
looks like we'll have at least 11 languages ready on release date!
You guys never fail to astound me with how much work you can
accomplish in such a relatively short time.  Congratulations to all
the teams for their efforts!" [1]

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-November/msg00015.html

[[Anchor(Artwork)]]
== Artwork ==

In this section, we cover Fedora Artwork Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

Contributing Writer: TimothyRoberts

=== Nodoka Window Decorations for KDE ===

LaithJuwaidah has released a KDE version of the new Fedora theme Nodoka.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00014.html

=== Arts in Brazil ===

JaymeAyres has contributed artwork for Fedora Project in Brasil.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00033.html

=== CD Box Draft ===

GiacomoSucci has posted a first draft of of the CD Box. He is asking
for the community's opinions and comments.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00056.html

=== Hardcoded Icons ===

JakubRusinek has requested that the community help fix gnome system-*
packages, which currently hardcodes icon paths.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00018.html

=== Fedora 8 Features in PDF ===

MichaelBeckwith has requested assistance with compiling a PDF intended
to display the new features of Fedora 8. He is in need of content,
ideas, and graphics.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2007-November/msg00035.html

[[Anchor(SecurityWeek)]]
== Security Week ==

In this section, we highlight the security stories from the week in Fedora.

Contributing Writer: JoshBressers

=== Fedora 8 released ===
Last week saw the release of Fedora 8.  This is important for
countless reasons, one of them being a new firewall configuration
tool.  This is important since it should hopefully keep more people
using the firewall.  In previous Fedora releases it was often easiest
to just turn off the firewall when something didn't work.  This is
obviously an unwise move as it can leave your machine open to various
other issues.  One of the most difficult things for security to
achieve is keeping users safe while staying out of the way.

=== pcre ===
Some rather foul pcre flaws were made public last week.  In reality
these flaws aren't a big deal for most users, but it was found that
pcre is used by Konqueror.  It seems that the Konqueror web browser
uses the pcre library for its JavaScript regular expression support.
Web browsers are easily one of the most dangerous applications on a
computer, as they process an incredible amount of arbitrary third
party content.

[[Anchor(AdvisoriesUpdates)]]
== Advisories and Updates ==

In this section, we cover Security Advisories and Package Updates from
fedora-package-announce.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora 8 Security Advisories ===

 * seamonkey-1.1.5-2.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00102.html
 * tar-1.17-4.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00105.html
 * hugin-0.6.1-11.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00107.html
 * ruby-1.8.6.111-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00110.html
 * cpio-2.9-5.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00118.html
 * liferea-1.2.23-5.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00131.html
 * nagios-plugins-1.4.8-9.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00139.html
 * xscreensaver-5.03-14.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00143.html
 * glib2-2.14.3-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00172.html
 * mono-1.2.5.1-2.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00182.html
 * cups-1.3.4-2.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00193.html
 * kdegraphics-3.5.8-7.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00204.html
 * xpdf-3.02-4.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00207.html
 * openldap-2.3.39-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00230.html
 * koffice-1.6.3-13.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00236.html
 * Django-0.96.1-1.fc8  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00243.html

=== Fedora 7 Security Advisories ===

 * cpio-2.6-28.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00053.html
 * proftpd-1.3.1-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00065.html
 * hugin-0.6.1-11.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00199.html
 * tomboy-0.6.1-2.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00206.html
 * xpdf-3.02-4.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00215.html
 * koffice-1.6.3-13.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00224.html
 * inotify-tools-3.11-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00228.html
 * cups-1.2.12-7.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00238.html
 * mono-1.2.3-5.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00249.html
 * Django-0.96.1-1.fc7  -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00257.html

=== Fedora Core 6 Security Advisories ===

 * flac-1.1.2-28 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00068.html
 * firefox-1.5.0.12-5.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00070.html
 * thunderbird-1.5.0.12-3.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00071.html
 * libpng-1.2.10-10.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00072.html
 * tar-1.15.1-27.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00073.html
 * xen-3.0.3-13.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00075.html
 * ruby-1.8.5.114-1.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00076.html
 * cups-1.2.12-5.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00077.html
 * cpio-2.6-22.fc6 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2007-November/msg00078.html

[[Anchor(EventsMeetings)]]
== Events and Meetings ==

In this section, we cover event reports and meeting summaries from
various projects.

Contributing Writer: ThomasChung

=== Fedora Board Meeting Minutes 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Ambassadors Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Documentation Steering Committee (Log) 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Engineering Steering Committee Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Report Week 44 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Reports/Week44

=== Fedora Infrastructure Meeting (Log) 2007-11-08 ===

 * https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-November/msg00116.html

=== Fedora Localization Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Marketing Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting 2007-MM-DD ===

 * No Report

=== Fedora Quality Assurance Meeting 2007-11-07 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20071107

=== Fedora Release Engineering Meeting 2007-11-05 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/Meetings/2007-nov-05

=== Fedora SIG KDE Meeting 2007-11-06 ===

 * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/2007-11-06

--
Thomas Chung