Fedora 8 and 9 updates status

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 21:06:47 UTC 2008

> Announcements regarding the location
> of said document and how to help with content will be coming shortly.

Time for another update on the F8 and F9 updates status.

Our testing with the live update content as gone well.  We identified a
couple issues with the current PackageKit and thanks to Richard Hughes
we'll have an updated PackageKit to offer as well as an updated
fedora-release package for our users.  The combination of the two (or
just the fedora-release package for you non-packagekit users) will be
all that you will need in order to gain access to our newly signed and
relocated updates.

We're in the final stages of testing a few corner cases, and preparing
the official builds of fedora-release, PackageKit, gnome-packagekit, and
unique (needed as a new dep for gnome-packagekit).  All existing updates
in the old update locations will be purged, and just these updates will
be put in their place, signed with our old key.  Once you've updated to
these packages, the next update attempt will point you to our new
locations with our new keys and you should be able to process any
further pending updates.  You'll be prompted to import the new key along
the way.

A wiki page has been created that covers some of this,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Enabling_new_signing_key and will be
updated throughout the day as we finish the above listed tasks.  A more
formal announcement along with links to the official FAQ will be
published to same lists this mail is going out to, and likely picked up
by various news sites.  We expect things to wrap up by the end of today
or early tomorrow.

Once again we thank you for your continued patience and be aware that
we're nearly there!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!