Fedora Weekly News 190

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Mon Aug 24 18:15:03 UTC 2009

           o 1.1 Announcements
                 + 1.1.1 Fedora 12 (Constantine)
                 + 1.1.2 Announced FUDCon Toronto 2009
                 + 1.1.3 Switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-Soft
                 + 1.1.4 Upcoming Events
           o 1.2 Marketing
                 + 1.2.1 Marketing Meeting Log for 2009-08-18
                 + 1.2.2 Alpha readiness meeting
                 + 1.2.3 Fedora Insight updates
           o 1.3 QualityAssurance
                 + 1.3.1 Test Days
                 + 1.3.2 Weekly meetings
                 + 1.3.3 NetworkManager Test Day report
                 + 1.3.4 Alpha release candidates
                 + 1.3.5 DeltaISOs for Alpha test builds
                 + 1.3.6 Test Day live image creation guide updates
                 + 1.3.7 Daily Rawhide live spins available
           o 1.4 Translation
                 + 1.4.1 Updated Translation Schedule for Fedora 12
                 + 1.4.2 Ticket Filed with FESCo for Test Packages
                 + 1.4.3 Freeze Break for comps and initscripts
                 + 1.4.4 New Members/Coordinators in FLP
           o 1.5 Artwork
                 + 1.5.1 Design and the Schedule
                 + 1.5.2 A New Icon Artist in the Team
           o 1.6 Virtualization
                 + 1.6.1 Fedora Virtualization List
                       # 1.6.1.1 Fedora Virtualization Status
                 + 1.6.2 Fedora Xen List
                       # 1.6.2.1 Dom0 Kernel Status

- Fedora Weekly News Issue 190 -

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 190[1] for the week ending August
23, 2009. What follows are some highlights from this issue.

This issue kicks off with an announcement of the next FUDCon, to be held
in Toronto, Canada, in early December, along with update on the Fedora
12 release schedule. In Marketing news, Fedora Insight will be launched
along with the Fedora 12 beta timeframe, and a test version of zikula is
now available. Highlights from the most recent Test day and Fit and
Finish meeting, along with much detail on work towards Fedora 12 is
covered in the Quality Assurance beat. In Translation news, updates from
the Fedora Localization Project, including new FLP members, freeze break
requests for comps and initscripts, as well as updated Fedora 12
translation schedule. In Art/Design news, coverage of recent discussion
on design schedule, generally speaking. Also news of a new icon artist
who has joined the Design team. Our issue rounds out with virtualization
news, with updates on Fedora virtualization for Fedora 12, and also
detail on recent discussion regarding the Dom0 kernel under Xen on
Fedora 11. We hope you enjoy this issue of FWN!

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[2]. We welcome reader feedback: fedora-news-list at redhat.com

The Fedora News team is collaborating with Marketing and Docs to come up
with a new exciting platform for disseminating news and views on Fedora,
called Fedora Insight. If you are interested, please join the list and
let us know how you would like to assist with this effort.

FWN Editorial Team: Pascal Calarco, Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue190
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

-- Announcements --

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project[1] [2] [3].

Contributing Writer: Rashadul Islam

    1. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/
    2. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events

--- Fedora 12 (Constantine) ---

The only major news this week was "Updated Fedora 12 Schedule--Final
Release Date 2009-11-10"[1]. On another announcement, John Poelstra
mentioned, "The Alpha Release of Fedora 12 is scheduled for public
availability one week from today on Tuesday, August 25, 2009. As a
result of our announcements around this release many journalists and
other people curious to find out what's on the way for Fedora 12 will
come to read your feature page."[2] The new Alpha release date is August
25, 2009[3]."

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-August/msg00009.html
    2.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-August/msg00008.html
    3. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/12/Schedule

--- Announced FUDCon Toronto 2009 ---

Fedora Project Leader Paul W. Frields has announced FUDCon Toronto 2009
on December 5-7, 2009, in Toronto, Canada at the Seneca @York campus. In
his announcement he says, "Thanks to the dedicated efforts of some of
our ardent fans and friends in the Fedora community in the great nation
of Canada, we are heading across the border for the next North American
Fedora Users and Developers Conference (FUDCon)! The next FUDCon will
happen December 5-7, 2009, in Toronto, Canada at the Seneca @York
campus."[1].

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-August/msg00007.html

--- Switch from OpenAL to OpenAL-Soft ---

LinuxDonald has announced at all packagers, "when you have openal as
dependency please change it to openal-soft and recompile your package
for f-12 please."[1].

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2009-August/msg00007.html

--- Upcoming Events ---

Please, consider attending or volunteering at an event near you!

     * North America (NA)[1]
     * Central & South America (LATAM)[2]
     * Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA)[3]
     * India, Asia, Australia (India/APJ)[4]

    1.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q3_.28September_2009_-_November_2009.29
    2.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q2_.28June_2009_-_August_2009.29_2
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q2_.28June_2009_-_August_2009.29_3
    4.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY10_Q2_.28June_2009_-_August_2009.29_4

-- Marketing --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Marketing Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

Contributing Writer: Chaitanya Mehandru

--- Marketing Meeting Log for 2009-08-18 ---

Meeting logs [1] and notes [2] for the 2009-08-18 Fedora Marketing
Meeting were made available. All Marketing meetings and notes are open
to the public. [3]

--- Alpha readiness meeting ---

Three words: we're on track.[4]

--- Fedora Insight updates ---

FI will be launched alongside F12's Beta release. The final workflow and
software freeze is due by 2009-08-25.[5] and An instance of zikula [6]
is up on publictest6 [7], and Robyn Bergeron is working to provide a
document form of the workflow chart we will be using.

    1.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-08-18/fedora-meeting.2009-08-18-20.03.html
    2. Log:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-08-18/fedora-meeting.2009-08-18-20.03.log.html
    3. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_meetings
    4. https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/report/3
    5. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight#Schedule
    6. http://zikula.org
    7. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Server/publictest6

-- Quality Assurance --

In this section, we cover the activities of the QA team[1].

Contributing Writer: Adam Williamson

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA

--- Test Days ---

Last week's main track Test Day[1] was on ABRT[2], the Automated Bug
Reporting Tool. There was a solid turnout of testers and developers, and
several bugs were filed and fixed.

Last weeks' Fit and Finish Test Day[3] was on printing. The Fit and
Finish team and some volunteer testers filed several bugs which should
improve the friendliness of printing and printing configuration, seven
of which have already been fixed.

Next week's main track Test Day[4] will be on Dracut[5]. Dracut is a new
initrd (or, more properly, initramfs) generation tool designed to
replace mkinitrd and nash for Fedora 12. An initrd or initramfs is the
basic pre-built filesystem image that is initialized along with the
kernel when your system first boots up, allowing the necessary hardware
to be initialized to access your real storage devices and thus
permitting the main boot process to proceed, so obviously it is a
critical component of any system; if there's a problem with Dracut, it
could very well stop your system from being able to boot at all. So it's
vital that we get as much testing as possible on as wide a variety of
hardware as we can. We're particularly interested in testing on more
complex setups, where the root partition is on a RAID or LVM array, or
even LVM-on-RAID, or where the root partition is mounted across a
network connection. There will be live CD images available for testing,
so you can test without a Rawhide install too. Please come along and
help out! The Test Day will be held on Thursday 2009-08-27 in IRC
#fedora-test-day (note the change of IRC channel).

If you would like to propose a main track Test Day for the Fedora 12
cycle, please contact the QA team via email or IRC, or file a ticket in
QA Trac[6].

    1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-08-20_ABRT
    2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ABRT
    3.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-08-18_Fit_and_Finish:Printing
    4. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-08-27
    5. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut
    6. http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-qa/

--- Weekly meetings ---

The QA group weekly meeting[1] was held on 2009-08-17. The full log is
available[2]. James Laska reported that a first release candidate for
the Fedora 12 Alpha had been uploaded to alt.fedoraproject.org, the
installation test matrix[3] had been created, and that testing was
needed to fill it out. Adam Williamson asked how the blocker list
looked, and James reported that it contained only two bugs, both in
MODIFIED state, and both appearing to have been fixed. On overall
readiness, James and Jesse Keating reported that the installer seems to
be in good shape, but the final round of testing would confirm that.
Adam felt that X.org was in good shape, certainly good enough for an
Alpha release. In general the group felt the current state was good
enough for an Alpha release.

Will Woods reported on the progress of the AutoQA project. He had now
implemented a system for all tests to report their results to the
autoqa-results list[4] (sign up for this list if you want to see the
results of the AutoQA tests!) He had updated the test writing notes[5]
and fixed the test watcher script so that the tests run regularly,
automatically, with no manual intervention needed. He was planning to
write a draft of a 'How to write a test' document. He had also made a
blog post[6] to summarize current progress. Kamil Paral pointed out that
Petr Splichal is working on a package sanity test tool, and it might be
a good idea to integrate his work into the AutoQA framework. David
Pravec suggested inviting Petr to the next QA meeting to discuss the
proposal, and Kamil contacted Petr to ask him to speak to Will.

James Laska gave an update on Test Day status. He had not seen a
post-event report for the Fit and Finish team's Peripherals Test Day,
but Adam Williamson noted he had run his test day report script on the
Peripherals page and it showed 10 NEW, 2 ASSIGNED and one CLOSED bug
report. He noted the Fit and Finish Printing Test Day and the main track
ABRT Test Day were upcoming, and that David Pravec and Kamil Paral were
running the ABRT event. James asked Jóhann Guðmundsson if he would like
to lead the upcoming Dracut Test Day, but Jóhann did not respond, so
James promised to find out who would be leading the event later.

The Bugzappers group weekly meeting[7] was held on 2009-08-18. The full
log is available[8]. Niels Haase asked if the switchover in procedure
for marking bugs as triaged could be added to the QA project calendar.
Adam Williamson promised to check with James Laska whether this could be
done.

Brennan Ashton gave an update on the status of the triage metrics
project. He intends to redesign the entire codebase from scratch to make
it easier to maintain in the long term, and have the new version online
in one month. He had to take down the current implementation temporarily
while the server it is hosted on was upgraded, and intended to leave it
down until the new code was ready, but Adam Williamson asked him to
re-enable the existing system once the host server had been upgraded, so
there was still some system available. Brennan also stated he might have
someone interested in becoming a co-maintainer of the project. Adam
wanted to make sure that once the re-design was complete the system
would be able to stay in place consistently over the long term, as long
term reliable and consistent reporting is vital to the metrics project.
Brennan assured him this would be the case.

The next QA weekly meeting will be held on 2009-08-24 at 1600 UTC in
#fedora-meeting, and the next Bugzappers weekly meeting on 2009-08-25 at
1500 UTC in #fedora-meeting.

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings
    2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20090817
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_12_Alpha_RC1_Install_Test_Results
    5. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Autotest
    6. http://qa-rockstar.livejournal.com/8215.html
    7. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Meetings
    8.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-08-18/fedora-meeting.2009-08-18-15.02.log.html

--- NetworkManager Test Day report ---

Adam Williamson reported[1] on the NetworkManager Test Day held on
2009-08-13, with a list of all bugs reported during the Test Day and
their current statuses. He also provided the command he had used to
generate the list, for the benefit of others doing future Test Day reports.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00377.html

--- Alpha release candidates ---

Liam Li and James Laska announced the availability of, respectively,
Fedora 12 Alpha RC1[1] and RC2[2], together with a plea for group
members to test installation of these images and report their result to
the test matrices: RC1[3], and RC2[4].

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00521.html
    2.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00529.html
    3.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_12_Alpha_RC1_Install_Test_Results
    4.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_12_Alpha_RC2_Install_Test_Results

--- DeltaISOs for Alpha test builds ---

Andre Robatino announced the availability of DeltaISOs for going from
the Alpha Test Compose to Alpha RC1[1], and later for going from Alpha
RC1 to Alpha RC2[2]. If you have downloaded the Test Compose or RC1 and
would like to test RC2, please consider using these DeltaISOs to reduce
the strain on the server.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00411.html
    2.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00532.html

-- Test Day live image creation guide updates

Kamil Paral announced[1] that he had updated the Test Day live image
creation guide once more, with some refinements to the included
applications and desktop icons.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00428.html

--- Daily Rawhide live spins available ---

Adam Miller announced[1] that, with the help of Kevin Fenzi and others,
a system was now in place to generate and make available daily Rawhide
live images for several spins[2], so it will always be possible to test
a bleeding-edge Rawhide system without installing anything to hard disk.
Several list members posted heartfelt thanks for their efforts.

    1.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-August/msg00443.html
    2. http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes

-- Translation --

This section covers the news surrounding the Fedora Translation (L10n)
Project[1].

Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

--- Updated Translation Schedule for Fedora 12 ---

Due to a delay of one week in the Fedora 12 schedule, the Translation
schedule has also been updated[1]. A summarised version of the
Translation schedule has been posted by Noriko Mizumoto[2].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00082.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00084.html

--- Ticket Filed with FESCo for Test Packages ---

As a follow-up of the official request sent to FESCo last week for test
builds of packages[1], a ticket has also been filed with the FESCo[2][3].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00048.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00076.html
    3. https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/243

--- Freeze Break for comps and initscripts ---

Freeze break requests were made to the FLP by the maintainers of
comps[1] and initscripts[2]. Both the requests were approved by the FLP
members.

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00109.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00091.html

--- New Members/Coordinators in FLP ---

Yulia Poyarkova took over as the new coordinator[1] of the Russian
translation team. The team was earlier led by Andrew Martynov. Also,
Jens Maucher joined the German translation team[2].

    1.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00086.html
    2.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2009-August/msg00064.html

-- Artwork --

In this section, we cover the Fedora Design Team[1].

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei

    1. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

--- Design and the Schedule ---

Paul Frields wondered[1] about the impact of having a precise schedule
over the Design team, "How do people think the schedule is helping with
design tasks, in general? Do you feel the wallpaper refresh schedule is
reasonable? Are we on target for another refresh (iteration) and
repackaging?", question echoed[2] also by John Poelstra, who is trying
to sanitize the release process, and was worried for an apparent lack of
blogging about the team's activities "We've had a couple of tasks to
blog about the new wallpapers... I don't think I've seen any on
planet.fedoraproject.org". Martin Sourada pointed[3] explained the slip
"We're in a slip as well too. I'm still waiting on updated wallpapers
for packaging", while Máirín Duffy pointed[4] some blogging[5] happened
"Martin blogged the first set here" and outlined the plans for future
"We met some days ago and are planning to ship an updated version of
María's handdrawn vector tiles. If they're not ready though, our backup
plan is to use a perspective-ized version of the flat vector tiles
graphic that shipped in the initial set."

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-August/000887.html
    2.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-August/000894.html
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-August/000895.html
    4.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-August/000896.html
    5.
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2009/08/constantine-wallpapers-package.html

--- A New Icon Artist in the Team ---

After recently joining the team[1] with a first proposal for the Echo
Icon theme[2], Kris Thomsen built his confidence and returned[3] with
more contributions "I have made two more icons - based on the
user-desktop-icon. And now I'm confident enough to share them". Welcome
Kris, you are an useful addition to the Echo team!

    1.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-August/000719.html
    2. http://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/
    3.
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2009-August/000855.html

-- Virtualization --

In this section, we cover discussion of Fedora virtualization
technologies on the @fedora-virt and @fedora-xen-list lists.

Contributing Writer: Dale Bewley

--- Fedora Virtualization List ---

This section contains the discussion happening on the fedora-virt list.

---- Fedora Virtualization Status ----

Mark McLoughlin produced[1] another detailed virtualization status
report. Among the details of various package releases and bug updates
Mark reminds us that "The Fedora 12 Alpha release is now baked and will
be released next week on August 25th."

The final list of virt features for Fedora 12[2] looks like:

     * KSM - Allow KVM guest virtual machines to share identical memory
pages. This is especially useful when running multiple guests from the
same or similar base operating system image. Because memory is shared,
the combined memory usage of the guests is reduced.
     * KVM Huge Page Backed Memory - Enable KVM guests to use huge page
backed memory in order to reduce memory consumption and improve
performance by reducing CPU cache pressure.
     * KVM NIC Hotplug - Allow the addition of a guest network interface
(NIC) a guest virtual machine without needing to restart the guest.
     * KVM qcow2 Performance - Improve the I/O performance of virtual
machines using disk images in the qcow2 image format.
     * KVM Stable Guest ABI - Allow guest virtual machines to be
presented with the same application binary interface across QEMU upgrades.
     * libguestfs - A library for accessing and modifying virtual
machine disk images. guestfish is an interactive shell tool for editing
virtual machine disk images. Technically, this actually launched in F11,
but not as a "Feature"[3].
     * Network Interface Management - Provide tools to easily set up
commonly used network configurations, like bridges, bonds, vlan's and
sensible combinations thereof, in particular for virtualized hosts.
     * SR-IOV - Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) is a PCI feature
which allows virtual functions (VF) to be created that share the
resources of a physical function (PF).
     * VirtgPXE - Replace the deprecated etherboot pxe booting
infrastructure with the more modern and currently upstream supported gpxe.
     * Virt Privileges - Improve security by adjusting the privileges of
QEMU processes managed by libvirt. Also, allow KVM to be used by
unprivileged users.
     * Virt Storage Management - Enable VM hosts to discover new SAN
storage and issue NPIV operations.
     * Libvirt Technology Compatibility Kit - Provide a functional test
suite for virtualization and report on hypervisor compatability. "Note,
FESCo didn't approve TCK as a feature, but that should't stop us pimping
it :-)"

Be sure to check out Mark's full report below.

    1. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-August/msg00094.html
    2. Category:F12_Virt_Features
    3.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f11/en-US/sect-Release_Notes-Virtualization.html

--- Fedora Xen List ---

This section contains the discussion happening on the fedora-xen list.

---- Dom0 Kernel Status ----

Pasi Kärkkäinen forwarded[1] a pvops dom0 roadmap from Jeremy
Fitzhardinge. Pasi also noted[2] "the 32bit PAE (i686) dom0 kernel crash
problem has been fixed".

Daniel Berrange reported[3] "FYI, I have just installed a Fedora 12
x86_64 guest on a Fedora 11 x86_64 KVM host". "Once installed, I
installed the Xen dom0 kernel from http://fedorapeople.org/~myoung/dom0/
re-configured grub, and successfully rebooted into a Xen Dom0, and was
able to create paravirt guests successfully. Most of the libvirt-TCK
test suite passed, and the only bugs look trivial to solve in libvirt's
Xen driver."

"So for that environment at least, the Dom0 kernels are looking pretty
good when used with F12 and the libvirt Xen driver is still functioning
reasonably well."

Boris Derzhavets recently wrote[4] [5] detailed instructions for
creating a F11 dom0.

    1. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2009-August/msg00027.html
    2. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2009-August/msg00016.html
    3. http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2009-August/msg00030.html
    4.
http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/setup-fedora-11-pv-domu-at-xen-3-4-1-dom0-kernel-2-6-30-rc6-tip-on-top-of-fedora-11/
    5.
http://bderzhavets.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/setup-libvirt-0-7-0-6-xen-3-4-1-dom0-on-to-fedora-11-64-bit/

-- end FWN 190 --

Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pcalarco