Re: vectorize bitmaps

Great work Nicu! Vectorizing the bitmap was definitely something that might have been "gotten around to" later...but totally appreciate your insight and initiative to do this. =) A question...The portion that I used was the upper right side with only a bit of the horizon...as shown in my png version of the icon. Is it a lot of work for you to reconvert a cropped version that I send you or should I just alter the vector version? By using more sky and a bit of land, makes the picture a bit more interesting/dynamic...the whole picture is a bit more 50/50 and so has a more heavy and less appealing look...imo. =)

Thanks
Diana

Nicu Buculei wrote:
This may be a crazy and worthless idea:

I noticed the image-x-generic icon (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoDevelopment?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=image-x-genericL.png) contains an embedded bitmap (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoDevelopment?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=landscape.jpg).

How about using a vectorized version of the bitmap?

The downside is the SVG resulted after tracing loses a lot of details and have a large file size, but is much easier to work with it in a vector application.

The bitmap after tracing: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/echo/landscape_traced.svg

The image-x-generic icon using the traced vector image instead of bitmap:
- SVG: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/echo/image-x-genericL_traced.svg (yes, is full vector)
- PNG: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/echo/image-x-genericL_traced.png

note: I have no shadow and the outline is not quite the same, this can be corrected easily.