New to the list - need advice

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 30 17:52:59 UTC 2006

Hi Spydrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;)

spydrrrrr at gmail.com wrote:
>     I am confused about the whole process of creating or contributin art
>     to the Fedora project...
>     So is this a list of things that are in need of work? If so what is
>     the theme?
>
>     Are there things that need to be developped from scratch?
>
>     Is there something that does not exist that needs to be created?
>
>     It's all very confusing... The reason I ask is that I want to
>     contribute in a constructive manner... I do not want to simply
>     create stuff that is not needed...

I hear you on that. :-/

To spare you the heartache I have experienced, out of the projects below
I would recommend sticking to contributing to the Echo icon theme.

== Icon Work ==

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/EchoDevelopment

Basically, here is how that works: if an icon is missing and nobody has
claimed it (if its claimed it'll be colored in differently) then claim
it by changing the BG color of the table row and start working on it,
and upload it to that wiki page and send a note to the list when you're
done.

== Theme Artwork Work ==

I had been working on a DNA theme for FC 6
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemeSubmissions/DNATheme) and I
could use help in finishing this (There are slots for the pieces that
are missing on the page) but I'm pretty much stuck on getting it
actually in the distro and have yet to receive any information from
those in power on how I could do this and it's pretty much too late for
FC6 now. Maybe for FC7 or someday. If you'd like to help me work on this
for FC 7 let me know.

I've tried to archive other people's contributions here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemeSubmissions
So you can get an idea of what other people are working on and perhaps
build off their ideas for a new theme. (What makes up a theme? I wrote
up an overview with some implementation details here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemingOverview)

== GTK Theme ==

Another thing you could do if you wanted would be to review different
GTK themes and try to find a nice one or one that could be modified for
a fedora default (again, would be FC7 at this point.) I tried doing this
with the GentleGnome theme
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ThemeConcepts) but it seems like
a lot of people just don't like it. :(

You could take Gentle Gnome and survey people about it, see what they
like and don't like and try to address the issues they bring up, or try
a different theme entirely. Or even just mock up one and see if you can
rally some devels to help you implement it (depending I'd be willing to
help implement some hot mocks as a GTK theme :) )

== Art Repository Project ==

We're in dire need of a better artwork repository than the wiki. There
are some efforts being made to spec out our own system (would need to be
written in python) similar to art.gnome.org for this purpose. If this is
something you'd be interested in let me know and I can get you in touch
with the right people.

== Fedora Marketing Work ==

One thing we have not done yet as a team is approach the Fedora
marketing team and set up a workflow/communication protocol so we can
produce graphics for their marketing materials. If creating artwork such
as CD covers, webpage banner ads, posters, conference booth banners,
etc. appeals to you, starting this setup between our team and theirs
would be a welcome and helpful thing. :)

~m