First observations

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 13:22:09 UTC 2006

Hi John,

>> From: Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>
>
>> The font is a proprietary one, named Bryant2, is not possbile to
>> redistribute it:
>> http://www.processtypefoundry.com/typefaces/bryant2/index.html
>>

> I see the fedora logo is trade marked and there is a long list of legal
> precautions attached as a result. Normally a trade marked logo is to be
> presented without alterations although I did not find examples to be
> used in new art work (?).
>
> IMHO the intent of any open source project is to foster inclusion. In
> the case of art work, encourage artistic submissions.
>
> I find myself with the desire to help but I can't get started.
>
> Here are the obstacles I see.
>
> 1) If bryant2 is the official fedora font, doesn't its $50 to $350 price
> place an unfair burden on those who wish to contribute?
>
> 2) If I don't use the official font will I be at odds with the trade
> mark or the community?
>
> Any guidance here would be appreciated.

I kind of have to ask again, what exactly are you trying to do with the
font? Because it's really hard to answer your questions without knowing
what it is you are trying to do.

If you simply want to make Fedora logo artwork, you can go here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo#head-676bb5dfefa6e0f7c324dde85ebb11223186189c
  as I mentioned before and receive the vector artwork for the Fedora
logo. From that you can create artwork incorporating the logo.

You *do not* need to pay a licensing fee on the font and you *do not*
need the actual font as the licensing fee has already been paid for
usage of the font in the fedora logo, and we provide the vector version
of the logo so there is no need for art contributors to buy/use the
bryant2 font.

You shouldn't modify the Fedora logo. So there's no need to have the
font. You can just use the vector outlines that we provide.

Thanks,
~m