Help with New Default Theme for FC 6 and the plan for FC7+

Diana Fong dfong at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 22:00:30 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
>> FEDORA CORE 7 AND BEYOND
>> ========================
>>
>> Since there really was no formal process in place to get community
>> artwork contributions into Fedora for FC6, we're kind of doing this
>> all last-minute. In the future, we'd like to work on having a more
>> formal process by which people can submit concepts up until a certain
>> date, full theme mockups up until a certain date, and then an
>> advisory board of some sort could be in place to make a decision on
>> which theme actually gets in.
>>
>> This is all still nebulous and cloudy at this point but once we get
>> through FC6 I hope this is something we can all work together on to
>> ensure that community artwork will be a part of Fedora in the future!
>>

> From FC7 onwards, the freeze for all changes including new artwork
> would be before the test2 releases and we would define a process for
> exceptions artwork people would need to follow along with the rest of
> the developers.
>
> We still need to discuss the process of selecting one particular theme
> amoung several submissions that usually turn up. That is something the
> people involved here need to figure out. I dont want the board to
> micro manage. We are not artists unlike the people here.

Absolutely...
After FC6, we should work to better structure the information available
and the joining/submission process.  Our newcomers could be even be our
guide in this endeavor.  While various themes can still be submitted, I
was thinking at the beginning of each distribution, we could come up
with a subject to which submissions would be based on.  The focus can
then be changed for 8, 9, and so on...but this will keep a basic idea
but still be new, interesting, and challenging for the artists.
> If you are using the logo in the artwork, please submit it to the
> board for approval. The logo is part of our Fedora trademark and we
> need to legally protect it or risk losing it. We have been discussing
> using more freely licensed alternative logos among other things since
> the current situation is obviously not a healthy one.

I've heard mention of this for awhile now...how is the alternative logo
going?  I am a little hesitant about having two logos...I worry about
confusion and also brand dilution, will they look similar or vastly
different?  Sorry if you've already covered this...I haven't been
keeping up with the alternate logo conversation.

Diana