animated backgrounds

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Wed Aug 29 11:49:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 12:04 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Well, I am not that thrilled about the background reflecting the color
> ot the sky and changing it often, but I have a related long-term idea:
> if/when we will have a mascot, have the wallpaper showing the mascot in
> some action reflecting the current time: at night he will sleep (or will
> be very tired, with big, red eyes), at lunch time he will be eating, in
> the morning be upset for having to wake-up and so on (that would look
> marvelous with a cron-like config, to keep track of week days, alternate
> schedule for week-ends etc.)
>
> Absolute crack: it may take the date from something like the about-me
> applet and show something special on your birth day.

Well, from my point of view, it makes sense to highlight four basic
daytimes - midnight, dawn, noon, dusk. That's four pictures, but if you
left it to that then the background would change too much in every 6
hours, you can then either make longer transition phases in the
background definition, but it eats a lot of cpu cycles, or made the
transitions manually in gimp, for one hour one picture, which is more
work and more disk space, but the result is IMHO the best. As I noted in
my previous e-mail I tried to do something like that, based on Mo's
wallpapers. The result is now finished [1]. I however not leave it there
forever as it needs a lot of space, so when we replace it with something
better, or include in fedora, I'll remove it.

Your idea with the mascots and birthdays is great! Now we only need two
things: the mascot and the ability to choose special sequence on the
background based on user personal data...

Martin