mockup for user information interface

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 18:36:42 UTC 2007

Mark wrote:
>     What are the advantages of your mockup over the current (and
>     HIG-compliant [1]) screen? What issues are you trying to address /
>     goals
>     are you trying to accomplish?
>

> HIG-compliant [1]?? i have no idea what that is.

The [1] is a footnote reference. The footnote I provided points to:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/

I advise you read this document if you'd like to provide useful
interface mockups for GNOME as it's the guidelines that all GNOME apps
are supposed to adhere to.

> furthermore i`m not actually trying to improve issues.. i`m just trying
> to improve the usabillity of those user images and user information and
> i don`t see any reason why you should have 2!! images for one user..

So you are trying to solve a problem whereby there are two images for
one user? Can you elaborate?

> becuase that`s how it`s currently done. in this screenshot:
> http://img471.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot2jg7.png you see the
> windows:
> - Login Photo Preferences

Where does the logo photo preferences window come from?

Using FC 6 at least I don't see that Window. Using Fedora Core 6, I
click on the little icon next to the 'Fedora Live CD' text in the 'About
Fedora Live CD' window, select a graphic, and it appears in the little
icon. When I log out of Fedora, and if I use a face browser GDM theme,
then I see that same photo next to my name. There is no 'Login Photo
Preferences' window that I am familiar with? How did you get to that window?

>     For example, because the form fields in your mockup don't have labels
>     with shortcut keys. Will a visually-impaired user be able to target
>     specific form fields without label shortcut keys?
>

> well.. that`s for the coding (which i can`t do) people to make. i think
> those shortcut keys can just be addressed in the code.. for example:
> CTRL+U = Username field

Do you see how in the current screen, the shortcuts are underlined? How
would a user know to hit Ctrl + U? Also, is the Ctrl + U key combination
bound to some other function? (probably)

Also, how does changing these text fields to a non-standard format
address the issue you're focused on - the two user icon window issue?
What are you trying to solve with these changes? Do you understand the
potential problems they might cause?

~m