Wallpaper

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Thu May 7 17:09:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> This is an extremely open design team. We openly discuss our methods
> and our decisions, and we make our source artwork available in open
> formats using open licenses so anyone who wants to participate,
> extend, or build on our work can easily. If you been participating in
> the list when we received complaints on this particular issue and when
> we made the final call on how to handle it, you could have spoken up
> just as anyone else could have. Even if you were not paying attention
> to the list at the time, it doesn't mean the issue wasn't discussed
> openly.

Rodrigo, I recognize your passion, but I must disagree with you.

Mo has said it correctly.

The purpose of Fedora is not to vote on all sorts of things.  The
purpose of Fedora is to provide a leadership model for individual teams
to take ownership of tasks, and work those tasks to completion in an
open, inclusive way.

Discussing which of several options is "most right" is perfectly fine,
but in the end decisions are made by the people in the teams who are
directly doing the work, or those who are active participants.

To speak directly: I am a lurker on fedora-art-list.  Sometimes I say "I
like this one!" but I don't expect that my voice will have any more than
a minor impact, because I'm not the one designing the artwork.

I think the fact that the lion is being shipped as an alternative and is
default in dual-monitor settings is a good compromise of all the various
ideas.

--Max