replacing XMMS

Nathan Fredrickson nathan at silverorange.com
Wed Apr 21 19:34:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:31, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:27, Nathan Fredrickson wrote:
> > I just took my first look at Rhythmbox to see if it could stream an MP3
> > over HTTP and most importantly seek within the stream.  Unfortunately I
> > just get an error I don't understand: "Failed to create mad element;
> > check your installation".
>
> Getting MP3 support in the FC1 Rhythmbox is not trivial, it involves
> both recompiling Rhythmbox and installing a GStreamer plugin. In FC2
> it's a bit better - you just need the GStreamer plugin.

It wasn't too hard after all-- I installed gstreamer-plugins-mp3 from
livna.org and MP3s play fine in FC1.  No compiling necessary.

> > My usage pattern is probably non-standard, however my ideal player
> > would:
> > - stream audio files (such as MP3) over HTTP
> > - seek within the stream using the HTTP Range header
>
> Hmmm.  So this isn't internet radio, you're just playing a static file?
> I think the gnome-vfs HTTP plugin doesn't support seeking.  Once we fix
> that this should Just Work to add files over http to your library.

Yes, I have a web-application on a remote server that produces MP3 files
and M3U playlists of them.  They are just static files accessible over
HTTP.

Now that I've got gstreamer-plugins-mp3, I see that Rhythmbox can play
files over HTTP by selecting "New Internet Radio Station" and entering
the URL there.  You're right there's no seeking currently and yes, it
would make more sense to add them to the Library than as a radio
station.

> > - support HTTP Authentication
>
> That should already be fixed in Rhythmbox 0.8.0, due to it being fixed
> in gnome-vfs.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to that too.