replacing XMMS

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Apr 21 20:00:55 UTC 2004

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 14:18, Brian Pepple wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 13:48, Colin Walters wrote:
>>

>>>What I'm curious of is comments by people who still use XMMS, and why.
>>>What are the most important things to you that need to be fixed in
>>>Rhythmbox?
>>
>>I still use XMMS, since it's less CPU intensive than Rhythmbox.  On an
>>older machine Rhythmbox, tends to use too much resources.
>

> True.  There's a few senses of "removal" - removal from the package set
> entirely, and just removal from the default installation, and removal
> from the default menu.  I'm really only talking about the latter.

I use XMMS.
Why?
It just feels right to me.  I've tried alot of others, and I make sure that I
try them for at least a week.  But in the end, I have always ended up with
XMMS.  Either for the feel, for the plugin's etc.
Would I be upset if it was taken from the distro?
yes
Would I be upset if it was taken from the main menu?
No.

I do think it's a little confusing to have both in the main menu.  I think a
new user would be happy with Rhythmbox.  I think also that a user that is
already used to XMMS and wants to play it, is going to go for that extra
effort to find it.
So my final 2 cents worth is yes, pull xmms from the main menu, and even from
being installed by default if that is needed.  Just don't take it from the
distribution.

Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468