Desktop issues discussion proposal

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Apr 22 16:10:39 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 11:55, Razvan Corneliu C.R. \ wrote:
> > Some time ago there was a message posted to the fedora-config-list about
> > a new package management tool:
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/specs/redhat-config-packag
> >es
> >
> > I believe such a tool may be necessary in order to do any shuffling of
> > packages between Core and Extras (especially from Core to Extras).
>
> That tool exists for some time. It's called system-config-packages
> lately. The downside is that it simply doesn't do all that yet.

It has been doing what it currently does for a long time not ... even when it
is named redhat-config-packages.

The network stuff would be nice but it is the individual package
installation/removal that is needed (at least by me).

There was a point (in the FC1 development cycle IIRC) where x-config-packages
could install (and remove?) individual package but this got dropped because
of some problems.  At the time there was come comments to the effect of "we
really need to do this right and redesign the whole thing with
system-config-packages and up2date merging" (IIRC).

Up2date has "some" of the needed functionality (install but not remove) with
the --show-package-dialog command line option.  But this is currently broken
in that it only works if you have pending updates too (otherwise it says your
system is up-to-date).
--
Gene