Desktop issues discussion proposal

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 23:35:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 19:05, duncan brown wrote:
> Havoc Pennington said:
>
> > To me a separate GUI based on the backends used is pretty darn weird. I
> > don't see how it's sane to install both a yum gui and an up2date gui by
> > default for example.
>
> not only that, but you'd be re-inventing the wheel.  apt should be a part
> of fedora core, along with synaptic.  i know that there are problems with
> multi-arch procs and apt, but why not devote the time and effort into
> getting apt up to snuff (along with synaptic) and have that as your update
> manager?

To me the synaptic UI is designed around exposing all the functionality
of apt and RPM, rather than around a set of target users and their
goals/tasks.

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/action.html

So I would say it's possible to do much better on the GUI.

As far as the backend implementation of apt vs. yum vs. up2date, I don't
really care, but I know the people who work on them have some strong
opinions.

Havoc