Desktop issues discussion proposal

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Fri Apr 23 04:47:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 09:24, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> But of course leave the config file, so if you really want some other
> firewall config, or are setting up a machine whose purpose is to be a
> firewall, rather than to be firewalled, you can create that config.
> And there might be a GUI for creating a custom firewall, covering common
> use-cases for that.

Havoc,

Are you talking generically with that last sentence or is this in the
works? i.e. http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/ states a
number of tools "that would be useful but do not exist yet". For example
it lists:
"Firewall - configuration tool for IP Tables (something more finegrained
than redhat-config-securitylevel)"
What's the status on this tool and other tools listed there? One tool
that isn't listed that would be useful is a Mail server tool - could
take some of the complexity out of setting up Sendmail/Postfix (esp.
Sendmail). I suppose it's lack of RH developer interest/time?

Regards,
-Matt

--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.