Desktop issues discussion proposal

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Fri Apr 23 20:31:56 UTC 2004

Havoc Pennington escribió:

> The goal has not changed. What we're discussing here is adding new
> capabilities and focused improvements for particular audiences and
> scenarios.
> Anyway, to think about desktop UI and design crisply, we *must*
> distinguish different kinds of user and deployment scenario. In a whole
> lot of cases, we'll need multiple UIs. A router and a home desktop for
> example can't sanely use the same network config dialog.

It's GOOD to read that!

I completely agree in this question of multiple UIs (i.e. multiple
solutions). And my concern is that sometimes there seems to be a path
(one that I really don't like) where in the name of the simplicity we
just cut things off. (I don't want to sound repetitive, but again, the
I'm ok with the idea of RedHat pushing its own ideas into Fedora (after
all, we have Fedora because of RedHat, and I'm _very_ happy with the
work that RedHat has done now and in the past as regards UIs and
usability) as long as they don't keep others from doing the things
RedHat doesn't want.
I know that making everybody happy is much more difficult... but at the
same time, it's a much more appealing challenge! ;)

Thanks Havoc for your thoughts!

--
Mariano