Performance tuning the Fedora Desktop

Soeren Sandmann Pedersen sandmann at redhat.com
Wed May 12 09:59:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 18:12, Will Cohen wrote:

> However, one drawback of this statistical call grap information is one
> ends up with a call graph forest rather than a call graph tree. The
> sampling will miss the lone call that causes a lot of work unless the
> code happens to walk far enough up the stack. Does the sysprof stack
> tracer you use walked the entire user stack each time it takes a sample?

It traces up to 256 addresses, which is normally enough room for the
entire stack. Usually sysprof reports something like 96% time spent in
_libc_start_main(). I assume the remaining 4% is accounting for
applications that have either a very deep stack (> 256) causing another
function to appear as the first call, or are just weird in other ways.

Søren