FC2: gnome-terminal takes much longer to startup than Mozilla

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed May 26 05:59:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 22:50, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> I think it was Warren who mentioned that he has to minimize
> gnome-terminal when he's doing a noisy compile otherwise it
> significantly slows down.  That's certainly true for me too (although I
> just toggle to another tab), but I'm not sure if the real problem is
> with gnome-terminal, pango, or the underlying font system -- or perhaps
> at layers even lower than that, like really bad or non-existent Render
> support in the video driver.

Gnome-terminal is really not significantly slower than xterm if they are
on par font-wise, i.e. you run xterm with an AA font, or pick a
bitmapped font for gnome-terminal.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a fiendish one-eyed waffle chef who hangs with the wrong crowd. She's a
scantily clad junkie schoolgirl with the soul of a mighty warrior. They fight
crime!