Professionalism

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Nov 11 15:08:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 14:58 +0000, chapmanccc at juno.com wrote:
> To the developers,
>
> The Linux operating system is maturing and we all hope that it will be
> a major contender in the home and business markets.  As it approaches
> this goal, the customer base changes.  Linux is no longer the "geek
> OS" it once was.  Where once the predominant profile of a Linux user
> was a young male, you now find fathers and husbands (I am both), women
> (I am married to one) and children (I have three).  Linux is my main
> OS at home and my wife and oldest child also use it.
>
> With this evolution, a level of professionalism must also take place.
> Being that the Fedora project is one of the leading consumer Linux
> distributions, I would hope the developers would want to 'lead the
> pack' in this area.
>
> This brings me to my point.  I was rather disappointed with the
> content in the "WebCollage" and "Barcode" screensavers.  These
> screensavers have since been manually removed from my system, but I
> would have preferred them not to be installed by default.  When I
> install Mac OS or Windows, garbage like this is not included.  Why?
> Because the developers strive to build a professional product.  Yes, I
> can install items like this with Mac OS or Windows, but I would need
> to download or purchase them after installing the OS.
>
> Developers, please be considerate when creating the Fedora
> distributions and let's strive to make Linux as professional as
> possible.

I agree, We should have more professional behavior. And since most
professionals are adults and know that world is filled with all sorts of
things that _you_ may not like but that others may, I think we should
respect the differences between people and let adults choose what
behavior of their screensavers they want. Therefore, I recommend
screensaver preferences! In EVERY DESKTOP! The ability to choose a
screensaver must be included in the distribution to put a stop to this
anti-professional degradation.

oh.. wait.. they're already there.

hmm.

-sv